Ribs Failure

DjPorkchop

Hello folks. it's been a while since my last post.

Still smoking on the BP EDS and loving it. Now on to the issue.

I can cook butts, fatties, MOINKS, country style ribs, etc, etc on my drum with no issues what so ever and the food turns out great! Now when it comes to ribs, I just can't figure it out. I do NOT use the 3-2-1 method. I cook only spares. Rarely to never baby backs.

I put my ribs on when my colas are set up nice and holding 225-250 give or take a couple. At the 3 hour mark the bottom of the ribs are so hard you cant even cut through them while the top layers are getting to the place they need to be. Do I need to be flipping these ribs once an hour or something?

Now keep in mind on my other UDS I can cook ribs all but comp level all day every day. I cook for 3 hours at 225-250, 1 hour in foil and an hour setting in sauce.

I am confused as can be. Why can't I get ribs right on my beloved BP EDS?

Thanks for reading and any help!

Ray

DrumDumb

That's a tough one. I never tried to do three hours on my BP UDS. I usually end up doing a 2-2-.5 on my ribs. They come out good that way. I will also try to ride the edge of the grate with them too. Only putting them in the middle if I have to. Have you tried rotating them on the grate to different spots as the time goes by?

DjPorkchop

I like the 2-2-.5 idea. And I do have a real nice diffuser I can use as well if needs be. It is stainless steel. and maybe next time I will try to run them as close to the edges as I can. This last run of ribs I just tossed them on the center and let it roll.

Lesson learned not all UDS are the same. I'm used to my old one. Set it and forget it. ;)

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it.

Ray

BetterthanOKBBQ

Just as a quick side note. Make sure you are taking off the silver skin from the underside of the ribs. It will contribute to the hard bottoms. I've also been known to cook mine meat side down on my UDS so that they cook a little more evenly. I have been going for about 2 hours, then saucing them and wrapping them for another 1.5-2 hours at 275*, then resting them for 30 minutes or so. You can get away with that higher temp with pork in my experience. Tenderness is has never been an issue for me. Sometimes I dont get the pull I want but my wife prefers it that way anyway. Good luck with your next go!

DjPorkchop

Thanks for the reply.

I definitely remove the membrane. I actually never considered cooking them meat down. I've always done it bones down. I might have to give that a try as well some time soon.

gettinbasted

Ribs on a can is more art than anything. Turn and burn every 20 minutes until you get a good color and then wrap them up! The timing before wrapping for me is anywhere from 1-2 hours, but I cook hot.

Big Poppa

Administrator
what getting basted said...when he says turn it is turning the grate like a turntable and flippings too but they cook at over 300....
if you are at lower temp and have three racks put them in a triangle on the grate and leave the direct fire open....or use a deflector plate.

A really good think to understand is that you are cooking. There are many things that are important besides time and temp...the color of the meat....If you have a beautiful deep mahogany color then foil. Foil at color instead of a clock and see if it gets better.....

If you dont want to foil then use a deflector and rotate around or the above triangle setting

DjPorkchop

Thanks fro the replies everyone. I will be placing ribs closer to the edge and flipping and turning along with a wrap more often now. I got everything else down pat on the EDS I am sure ribs will work out for me. I do have a real nice stainless steel diffuser that I can use as well.

thanks again! I appreciate it.

gettinbasted

Damn- I'm cooking BB's in 2 hours no foil in my cans using a Hunsaker Smokers Vortex firebasket.

We call those "eaters". If you are doing them at home, do this exactly, cut them up and chow down. There are 2 problems with this style for competitions. First, hot and fast ribs tighten up. By the time you slice, box, walk, let the reps play 3 card monte, judge appearance, think about it and taste, those delicious beauties will probably be tight. Second, you can get a tough (but delicious) exterior on them. A little time in foil cures both. I'm not saying it can't work. I am just saying it is a tough mark to hit in the heat of battle!

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
we have a full size diverter that i use when cooking ribs at times

A

http://jimbloomfield.smugmug.com/Cooking/Barbecue/Barbecue-2014/i-hwFkcFL/A

swamprb

We call those "eaters". If you are doing them at home, do this exactly, cut them up and chow down. There are 2 problems with this style for competitions. First, hot and fast ribs tighten up. By the time you slice, box, walk, let the reps play 3 card monte, judge appearance, think about it and taste, those delicious beauties will probably be tight. Second, you can get a tough (but delicious) exterior on them. A little time in foil cures both. I'm not saying it can't work. I am just saying it is a tough mark to hit in the heat of battle!

Agreed- these are for eatin' not competin'!
Been playing around with the turn n burn at a lower temp and foiling followed by a rest in the Cambro and they are not as tight. A little lacking in the smoke ring dept. sometimes, but no big deal. In the past I was never satisfied with ribs cooking direct and used the BWS or WSM for comps. Love the cans!

rockinshelby

Are you running the drum at 250 on the BPS thermometer? Keep in mind that the center can be up to 50 degrees hotter. If you don't have one, invest in a Maverick.

DjPorkchop

Are you running the drum at 250 on the BPS thermometer? Keep in mind that the center can be up to 50 degrees hotter. If you don't have one, invest in a Maverick.

Yeah I'm sure temp was where it needed to be. I normally count on the dial being at least 35-40 degrees off center grate temp. And no Maverick here yet. I started cooking the old fashioned way and always have. Now that being said, I would love to own a Maverick sooner or later.

Smitty

I never gone 3+ hours on ribs on a drum. I usually go about 2 hours at around 225-250 then wrap and put them back on for maybe 30 more mins.

Top Bottom