My first cook, please tell me what I did wrong

jas904

I first have to say that the BP kit was awesome to build. I figured I would cook a flattie the firsts time to season the inside of the drum. I had a problem with keeping the temps low. Once it stabilized the thermometer read 335 thats with all the vents closed. I used a full basket of Kingsford charcoal with a coffee can in the center and started a full chimney with a cube. I have the smaller of the two Weber chimneys. Once the chimney got going I poured it in the empty coffee can and took the can out. I'm guessing I don't need a full chimney to start? Any help would be appreciated. Lifelong gas grill guy making the switch. Looking forward to improving my technique.

Pappa Roach1

Looks like you were doing it right, but as you said you added to much burning charcoal on start up.

You may have had the Air Intakes open more than needed also. A post on this is below.
Try 3 - 4 Intake holes open on start up, Use about half a small chimney of Hot Coals, and throttle back to about 1.5 Air Intake holes open when the temperature gets close. You may need to do a few start ups to determine exactly when to throttle back the intake air. And exactly how much to leave the ports open. Due to altitude, and weather conditions the settings will not all be exactly the same.

The Big Pappa Smoker has way more Air Intake Area available than is needed for Start Up. If you leave the air open too long OR too much on Start Up and let the temperature get away from you, it is very hard to get the temperature back down again. Things are harder to control when you have too much burning charcoal added at Start Up also.

No expert at all, but I read a lot.

Bob

Last edited:

bbq-ram

Like any other hobby, it takes time and practice to learn your equipment. I use to light full baskets until I realized I was creating my own problem. Half basket burns hot as well but comes down pretty quick. Then I'm able to manage my cook much easier.

More practice = more bbq!
Enjoy

jas904

Thanks for the responses guys. Your right about more practice, I'll be making another run at it tonight!

gettinbasted

I don't have a BPS Drum, I use a Gateway; instead of starting a chimney with a starter cube I fill my fire basket, make a little hole, and light the starter cube there putting a few unlit coals on top after sparking her up. It is ready to lid up and cook in 15 to 20 minutes. It is easier to catch a drum on the way up and give it more air than to calm it back down if you start too hot. Give it a shot!

scooter

Staff member
I only use as much unlit briquets as I think I'll need, usually about 1/4 full basket for anything under 3 hours'ish. Then I light 10-15 briquets with my propane fed turkey fryer base (The best charcoal lighter ever!) and spread 10-15 lit briquets over the top of the unlit briquets evenly spaced. I have the top vent open all the way and both bottom vents open 2 holes.
When the temp gauge shows nearing 200F I close both bottom vents to 1/2 of one hole open each side. It will coast up to about 250F and stay there.

When you need to open the lid to add/spray/rotate the meat, close the bottom vents completely and wait a couple minutes, then VERY SLOWLY lift the lid up just far enough so you can slide the lid off to the side in a sideways motion. After you've done what you needed to lift the lid off for, put the lid back on and wait about 60 seconds then open the bottom vents back up to where they were before you closed them. Doing this will help mitigate temp spikes. Anytime you simply lift the lid all the way up (without closing the bottom vents) you are creating a vacuum and the rush of fresh air that will now be feeding your fire will cause a temp spike.

Bigfish

I first have to say that the BP kit was awesome to build. I figured I would cook a flattie the firsts time to season the inside of the drum. I had a problem with keeping the temps low. Once it stabilized the thermometer read 335 thats with all the vents closed. I used a full basket of Kingsford charcoal with a coffee can in the center and started a full chimney with a cube. I have the smaller of the two Weber chimneys. Once the chimney got going I poured it in the empty coffee can and took the can out. I'm guessing I don't need a full chimney to start? Any help would be appreciated. Lifelong gas grill guy making the switch. Looking forward to improving my technique.

I believe the best advice is to start a cook as I do. Create a hole in the charcoal on one side of the charcoal basket. Light 10 to 12 coals in the weber chimney and dump those coals, when burning fully, into the hole of charcoal on one side of the basket. I hope you are monitoring center of grate temperature with a digital thermometer. Open the bottom vents and allow the temp to rise to approximately 200 F. Once achieved close the vents at the bottom of the drum to 1/2 hole on each side and let the temperature come up to where you want it for the cook. When you are ready to put the meat on the grill close the bottom vents and quickly as possible place the meat on the grid, close the top and reopen the vents to the previous locations.

Remember, it is much easier to establish a temperature on the way up than it is to cool a fire that is too hot.

Welcome to Drum Smoking, you will be amazed at the great food!

Ken

Chili Head

I believe the best advice is to start a cook as I do. Create a hole in the charcoal on one side of the charcoal basket. Light 10 to 12 coals in the weber chimney and dump those coals, when burning fully, into the hole of charcoal on one side of the basket. I hope you are monitoring center of grate temperature with a digital thermometer. Open the bottom vents and allow the temp to rise to approximately 200 F. Once achieved close the vents at the bottom of the drum to 1/2 hole on each side and let the temperature come up to where you want it for the cook. When you are ready to put the meat on the grill close the bottom vents and quickly as possible place the meat on the grid, close the top and reopen the vents to the previous locations.

Remember, it is much easier to establish a temperature on the way up than it is to cool a fire that is too hot.

Welcome to Drum Smoking, you will be amazed at the great food!

Ken

Thats almost exactly how i do it when i cook at 250ish.
Except i start at 1/2 hole open on each side from the get go. It works best for me. Its easy to stress over temps. We all did at first. Just shoot for 250-275 and you'll be fine.

smokeasaurus

When the 10-12 coals are added to the basket and you wait for the drum to get to 200 before backing off the holes to 1/2 open, do you leave the lid on for this??

Chili Head

Yes i leave the lid on.
All vent holes open until 200 degrees then i close them to 1/2 hole open on each side. Top vent is always wide open.

smokeasaurus

Gotcha, I left the holes at 1/2 throughout and while it take longer to reach 200, I didn't overshoot my temp so I am getting there.

Top Bottom