Minion Method Problems

smokeasaurus

Thanks so much for posting the video. That is the smoke I am looking for. We got a Lowes down hill and they stock the Frontier. Gonna get a bag or two or ten :cool:

The other great trade off is much less ash to clean up.

Last edited:

tpip

Just ordered my Kit from Big Popa's
It is suppose to be here in 2 days.
I bought a drum and I'm trying to get it ready for the assembly.
I took the retention ring that holds the lid on off.
I'm of the opinion that this ring is not used on the smoker.
My problem is the lid does not seat totally.
I feels like the drum is slightly our of round.
Is this normal?
anybody have any ideas?

smokeasaurus

I ordered by ss drum from Bubbas Barrels and my lid does not sit true in certain positions. I just press down on the lip of the lid and I have no smoke leakage and no problems during the cooks.

tpip

I ordered by ss drum from Bubbas Barrels and my lid does not sit true in certain positions. I just press down on the lip of the lid and I have no smoke leakage and no problems during the cooks.

Thanks for the reply.
There is some kind of gasket material in the lid.
Maybe that is what is keeping it from seating.
Should I remove that?
I know I'm exposing my ignorance here.

BetterthanOKBBQ

There is some kind of gasket material in the lid.
Maybe that is what is keeping it from seating.
Should I remove that?

I took a flat head screwdriver and scraped the gasket out of mine mostly because I was afraid it would melt. It definitely helped my lid seat well. If your barrel is a little out of round, you may have some problems like I did with the lid sticking especially when the barrel is hot. For me, it has loosened up over time and still keeps me from opening the lid too often. Like they say, if you're lookin', you ain't cookin'.

tpip

I took a flat head screwdriver and scraped the gasket out of mine mostly because I was afraid it would melt. It definitely helped my lid seat well. If your barrel is a little out of round, you may have some problems like I did with the lid sticking especially when the barrel is hot. For me, it has loosened up over time and still keeps me from opening the lid too often. Like they say, if you're lookin', you ain't cookin'.

I just finished burning out the drum (drum is still burning)
The gasket pretty much burned out.
It removed the remainder with a wire brush.
Getting some paint on it now.
I hope it seats, it would be a pain to put that ring on and off every time you wanted to open it.
Do some do that?

DrumDumb

Using this smoker would not be fun for me if I had to take that ring off every time. My lid fit horrible when I first tried to put it on. I kept spinning it a bit at a time and found a certain position that fit the best. I then marked my hole positions relative to that. I still have to finagle it a bit when putting it back on to avoid any big gaps, but it works. I can snuff my coals out at the end of a cook.

tpip

Using this smoker would not be fun for me if I had to take that ring off every time. My lid fit horrible when I first tried to put it on. I kept spinning it a bit at a time and found a certain position that fit the best. I then marked my hole positions relative to that. I still have to finagle it a bit when putting it back on to avoid any big gaps, but it works. I can snuff my coals out at the end of a cook.

Thank you,
all the input has been very helpful.

BetterthanOKBBQ

If you really have problems with a loose lid you can also get some high heat silicone and run it along the inside of the rim of the lid to make a quasi-gasket to help seal. I haven't done this personally but i think it'd work.

tpip

It seems to be running pretty good.
Today will be be my first attempt with this UDS
Thanks for all your input.

bcmcmoose

fwiw. I only use briquettes, Kingsford comp, for quick smokes or grilling. I always use lump with the minion method for long cooks . Anything 2-15hrs and up. Never need to add to the basket except to add chunks of whatever wood I like, usually apple for poultry fish pork, pecan for beef. Although I have some alder to try for my next salmon. Only break from this is that I use red oak firewood cut into chunks exclusively for tri tip. I can maintain 225-250 for an hour and a half or so, then raise the basket for a sear.

DrumDumb

I have pretty much adopted that philosophy. I grill with the bricks and smoke with lump. I just bought 140 lbs of Kingsford at the Home Depot Holiday sale. $10 bucks for a big 2 pack. I should be set for the summer for grilling. I feel sorry for my gasser just sitting there. Maybe some day soon, but not anytime soon. ;)

bcmcmoose

I have a 52" grand turbo elite gasser. I'm literally giving it away to a friend. I have no desire to go back to using gas

Zacko

I've found that if you have a lid that doesn't fit due to the drum being a little egg shaped just give it a little lovin. Set the lid on and see where you need to move it and then squeeze the barrel a little to get it into shape. It doesn't take much.
And I think it goes without saying that you really oughta do this when the barrel is cold.

roburado

all charcoal is not the same. You need to burn good fuel in your drum.....I just about never burn briquettes...lump is my choice.

Yes I m searching high and low for the ozark oak/hasty bake replacement.

OMG. I think I might have bought the last of the Hasty Bake at BPS or, at least, some of the last. I'm disappointed to hear that. I guess we'll try some of the new stuff you have in the store.

Big Poppa

Administrator
the new stuff is absolutely amazing. Its expensive but real charcoal...the only caution is to make sure your fire is ready otherwise it may be a tad smoky for many of you...just anoth 10 minutes to make sure its right. It burns almost twice as lone with 40% less ash

Jake79

Thanks for starting this thread Drum. I have only used briquettes in my drum because I figured they where easier to cook with, but after seeing your videos I'm going to try some lump. Anything to watch out for cooking on lump?

roburado

the new stuff is absolutely amazing. Its expensive but real charcoal...the only caution is to make sure your fire is ready otherwise it may be a tad smoky for many of you...just anoth 10 minutes to make sure its right. It burns almost twice as lone with 40% less ash

Are you talking about the Texas Premium Lump at BPS.com?

Top Bottom