Just ordered a stainless

Chili Head

Hi guys!
I just ordered my second kit and a stainless steel drum a couple days ago. I cant wait!
I gave my other drum to a guy that helped me cook last year and he's been cooking all winter. He's a happy guy!
Ive been wanting a stainless since i first laid eyes on one.
They look so good and should last many many years. Ill be sure to take pics during the build and later the smoked goodness coming off of it.

Chili Head

That's where I got mine from too. How long did it take them to ship it once ordered? I'm hoping it ships at the beginning of next week.

smokeasaurus

Ten days? Dang i guess i wasted 13 bucks for 3 day shipping lol.

Got a shipping update for ya Chili Head: Fed-Ex freight has gotten the drum to Barstow Cali in just 3 days so the transit appears to be faster than the estimated delivery date you first get. Mine was estimated for 4-30 and it should be here sooner :cool:

Chili Head

Man i cant wait!!
Its been awhile since i got new toys to play with. I was pricing charcoal yesterday. Its about time lowes has their 2 20's for 12.99 sale with memorial day coming up.

smokeasaurus

I only buy Kingsford on Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day. Another option is Royal Oak 100% Hardwood charcoal briquettes. You can get a good deal on a 40 lb bag thru Do it Best. Order online and get free shipping to the store.

scooter

Staff member
Congrats Chili!! The SS drum is a tank compared to standard drum. Very sturdy. You'll love it

Chili Head

Alright...
I thought i knew what to expect but damn!
These stainless drums are heavy. This wont need replacing in my lifetime im sure.
The drilling will commence very shortly.
4f029c8b0859ca9ba57a5b28abfce425.jpg

8c18a2698c63ba276ec603e2cbd8df9d.jpg

scooter

Staff member
I had a regular steel drum for my first. The SS drum was 2nd. I kept the 1st as my travel drum and the SS stays in my backyard. :)

Chili Head

Yeah its tough to drill! The included step bit wouldn't work. I didn't go too fast and i used oil and got nothing more than a dimple. Maybe i went too slow? Im going to try a small cobalt bit then the step bit later today.

Salmonsmoker

Use a small drill bit to drill pilot holes first. Stepping up in bit sizes to reach desired hole size will speed up the task. High speed will burn the drill bit. Use a cutting oil and low/medium speed. Pilot holes work best if the pilot hole size is big enough to allow the actual cutting edges of the bigger drill bit to be in contact with the edges of the pilot hole. FWIW

Chili Head

Well I got about half the holes done tonight. A buddy can sharpen my bits so we'll try again tomorrow. I have 15 3/4 holes to go and 4 more 1/4 holes..getting close LOL

Top Bottom