Home made drum smoker

ballie

Making home smoked meats is not a big thing in South Africa as far as I can ascertain. I started looking around the internet for ideas and came across this forum.

I am most grateful for all the ideas and techniques from this forum's users which allowed me to build my own drum smoker.:cool:

I got myself a drum of dubious origin (there was no smell of oil, gasoline or any foul stuff). I had it sand blasted inside and out and then made a huge fire in the drum and allowed it to burn for 2 hours, hopefully removing anything nasty.

I made two air control devices from a bastardized drawer runners with the runner part removed and a metal slider inserted to open can close the air holes. I purchased a thermometer originally designed for a locally manufactured gas grill. The grid is from a 57cm Weber kettle grill. I made a fire box from the charcoal grid from a Weber grill surrounded by 13mm square welded mesh. The lid was originally the top of the drum but I have since started using the lid of a Weber kettle grill. The whole outside is painted with high heat resistant black paint.

I have done pork shoulder, some bacon and a deboned pork neck. Fantastic!!!

Picture below of cured, smoked bacon.

I tried to upload other photos without success.

20140622_092101.jpg

ballie

Thanks Scooter, glad to be here.

Still refining my skills before I tackle anything more difficult like brisket.

ballie

Ah yes, practice.
Yesterday I did a whole smoked chicken. I had it in a brine overnight then rinsed it and put a home made rub on it (salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika and dried thyme). All I can say is my family devoured that bird before I had a chance to take a photo. Chicken uses a different method in that the heat is higher and the smoking time is shorter.
Anyway, we don't have access here to all the good stuff you have there, so I rely on this forum (and others) to guide me and, as I said before, I am grateful to all those that share their ideas and techniques with the world.

scooter

Staff member
My favorite rub for chicken is Desert Gold. It's amazing! By itself or in combination with something else.
As for taking pics, you should try taking pics through the whole process that way you'll be reminded to take the money shot at the end. I always carve so I cut what I want and set it aside. Then cut for the rest of my family. While they're putting their plates together I put mine together and then put it under some nice lighting and take pics. Then go join the family at the table. Easy peasy.

ballie

Practice makes perfect they say I have been doing a lot of smoking and cooking recently and I have learned a lot. Thanks Scooter for the sound advice.

1. Never use the smoker in direct sunlight. I live in a sub-tropical area and direct sunlight can raise the temperature inside the drum by as much as 15 degrees Celsius (27 F)
2. My drum likes to run at between 230 and 240 F. If I try to get it down to 220 I have to constantly adjust vents. If I leave it to do it's own thing it will remain at 230-240 without interference. So I just set it and forget it. Yesterday I did a 3.3 kg pork shoulder and I did not adjust anything after I got it set up. It ran for 12 hours giving me best result to date.

Here's to a lot more practice.

Pappa Roach1

Sounds like you are doing fine.
Enjoy cooking on your UDS.
A 57cm Weber Kettle Grill. I guess in countrys using the metric system that would be the size of a 22.5 Inch Weber. I am surprised that you can get a Weber Kettle in South Africa.

Bob

Last edited:
Top Bottom