Aluminum Foil melted

yodamel

OK I need opinions here.

I have the barrel smoker, and I took one of those aluminum foil catering pans you get at the grocery store, cut out the bottom and made it into a round shape, and I put it in the middle of the charcoal basket with some newspaper and lump charcoal, and I used it to start my fire. I filled the basket with lump charcoal and wood and thought I was good to go.

Unfortunately I completely forgot to take out the aluminum and it melted.

I'm thinking "eh... no biggie this time"... but I'm wondering if anyone thinks I should throw out all the food I cooked and start over?

It's for a camping trip next weekend, so I just finished putting it all in the freezer for a few days.

Thanks.

Big Poppa

Administrator
sorry but its just not worth it if they dont get sick thats great but if it tastes like aluminum foil they wont want you cooking for them! better safe than sorry

Pappa Roach1

I have an 18" Dia Charcoal Basket. I put a #10 can in the center that has both ends cut out. I have a wire bale on it for removal.

I place the #10 can in the basket, and add lump around it. I start somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of a large Webber charcoal starter of briquets. When white enough I add the briquettes to the #10 can, then remove the can from the basket, leaving the burning briquets in the center of the lump.
At this point using the Big Pappa Tool I lower the started basket into the Drum Smoker.
This method works very well for me. The can will last a very long time if you keep it out of the weather. The #10 can will nest inside the large Weber Charcoal Starter for storage.

Good Cooking
Bob

yodamel

I have an 18" Dia Charcoal Basket. I put a #10 can in the center that has both ends cut out. I have a wire bale on it for removal.

I place the #10 can in the basket, and add lump around it. I start somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of a large Webber charcoal starter of briquets. When white enough I add the briquettes to the #10 can, then remove the can from the basket, leaving the burning briquets in the center of the lump.
At this point using the Big Pappa Tool I lower the started basket into the Drum Smoker.
This method works very well for me. The can will last a very long time if you keep it out of the weather. The #10 can will nest inside the large Weber Charcoal Starter for storage.

Good Cooking
Bob

Thanks I'll try this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom