Coming over to the drum-side

SmokinMAK

Hi gang,

Been over on the other site for some time - been cooking on my MAK 2-Star about 4-years now. Got my drum, got it sandblasted, and drilling the holes tonight. Might even get the first coat of paint on tonight. Really looking forward to doing some cooks on the BPS drum - Like what I've seen here so far. Thanks for all the rum-prep tips, they WILL come in useful!

Bigfish

Welcome SmokinMAK! I love my Big Poppa EDS but I have to admit to being curious about your decision to build a drum. You have the top rated non commercial pellet grill on the planet. Folks rave about the MAK 2 Star General and it low and slow capabilities. What interests you about drum smokers?

Ken

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
From another MAK 2 Star owner. Different cookers have different flavor profiles. A drum the meat juices drip right into the fire and add a different flavor. The MAK with the wood pellets has a flavor that is light smoke and a cooked over wood taste. Never over powering.

scooter

Staff member
I also have a 2 Star and a pair of EDS's. A pellet cooker and a drum are the perfect combo

Bigfish

I also have a 2 Star and a pair of EDS's. A pellet cooker and a drum are the perfect combo

Scooter:

What foods do you prefer to cook on the EDS and the same for the MAK?

I am probably similar to a lot of folks on this site in that I have gone through many grills trying to find that perfect one! I have been looking at the MAK as the potential marriage of convenience you obtain from a gas grill with the better flavor you obtain from a charcoal grill. I love my EDS for low and slow cooks and use an Egg for grilling.

Thanks,

Ken

scooter

Staff member
Anything I want to get a sear on at the end I will cook on the drum. The drum is a tritip cooking machine so every single tri I do is done on the drum. Anything I want a heavier smoke profile will go on the drum also.
My 2 Star gets all long cooks (briskets/butts etc) and high heat cooks (350F+).

SmokinMAK

Bigfish - my MAK is great, but I wanted a new toy, and the thought of building my own appealed to me. Got it done - sandblasted, powder coated, and burned in - ready for the inaugural cook.
esa2yvar.jpg

Added the grommets from Maverick so I can use my digital thermostat. Also got the shelf and the GrillGrates. Ready to rock!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigfish

Thanks for the comments comparing the drum smoker and MAK Pellet Grill. I am very seriously considering the purchase of an MAK. Just have to do some more selling to the little woman! LOL!

Ken

SmokinMAK

Biggish - finally letting the two smokers duke it out in a head-to-head spareribs duel. All the same prep, rubs, sauces, temp and time. Apple/hickory pellets and chunks. Should be interesting. I expect a smokier flavor from the drum, I know exactly what will be coming off the MAK. Drum has been nice and stable, slight vent adjustments as new briquets come alive, but doing well. My Maverick monitoring the drum, MAK Grills. Mobile monitoring the MAK. image.jpg

SmokinMAK

They were. ;-)

Interestingly, there was mo smoke ring on the ribs off the drum - yet plenty of smoke flavor.
The ribs off the MAK had a crazy smoke ring. Anyone with more experience with a drum know why the drum ribs wouldn't have a smoke ring? Drum on the left, MAK on the right. Both tasted great!
image.jpg

SmokinMAK

Archer - My wife said she preferred the ones off the MAK better. I like the taste and texture of the drum ribs, but I would say it was pretty close to a tie. I would say if you have the means for a high-end pit like the MAK - Go for it, you won't be disappointed. If you are a little cash strapped and want a decent smoker, the BPS kit can't be beat. Burning out/painting yourself you can get cooking for about $200. Sandblasting/powder coating is a little more, and even with the side shelves and the deluxe kit, I came in right at $400. Next drum will be a stainless drum (if I can find a good one locally).

archer75

I have a traeger I use for smoking now and it works well. I was planning on supplementing with a drum smoker for more smoke and wood/charcoal flavor. If the difference is noticeable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

SmokinMAK

Archer - It all depends on how many wood chunks you put on. I used a moderate amount (3 of each type). There was a slightly heavier smoke flavor with more of the classic "smoke" taste you get at BBQ joints. You could use more and definitely get a heavier smoke flavor. This was my first low-and-slow on the drum so I am still experimenting. I plan to do a butt in the next week or so - maybe even two and go head-to-head again.

Or you could get an Amazin smoker tube, fill it with 100% flavorwood pellets (BPS sells them), and you will get PLENTY of smoke in your Traeger! I've done that with my MAK - especially when I was blending my smoke profile. I've done hickory/maple pellets in the hopper, and 100% apple in the tube.

Top Bottom