Keeping the Smoke On

yodamel

Goal: 175F-200F for 6 hours using Lump Charcoal and Wood chunks.

I have noticed that after about 3 hours I have to pull everything out, stir and reload/add to the basket.

Any tips would be appreciated.

bbq-ram

Just thinking out loud.. lump coals generally burn hotter and quicker. I would think for your low Temps you would stick to briskettes. Just from experience they burn stable over a longer period of time.

gus

gettinbasted

You have to let your fire breath. Drums aren't designed to run 175. You are probably starving your fire of air. Open it up and let it eat! What are you trying to accomplish? Cold smoking might take a different tool!

yodamel

thanks for the tip.

Do Briquettes burn slower? I was thinking Lump burned slower so that's why I switched to that.

I'm trying to make beef jerky so the temp needs to be lower. first batch came out pretty good though, but I did have to pull the basket out and adjust it.

gettinbasted

They don't burn as hot, but I don't think they burn any slower. Cold smoking on a Drum without any modifications will be tough. One other thought, how much wood are you using? It won't burn as well if you are using too much and this could put you out. You just need three or four chunks to do the job.

yodamel

They don't burn as hot, but I don't think they burn any slower. Cold smoking on a Drum without any modifications will be tough. One other thought, how much wood are you using? It won't burn as well if you are using too much and this could put you out. You just need three or four chunks to do the job.

I'm using a few chunks of wood here and there. I'll remember to keep those at a minimum. Thanks for the tip.

Which method below do ya'll think works best for a longer smoke?

1. putting the hot coals in the middle of the basket and then covering them all around and on top with lump charcoal so that it burns outward?

2. putting them on top of a basket full of charcoal and letting them burn down?

3. putting them on one side of a full basket and letting them burn across?

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
Hey its not a cold smoker...really cant do that.....you would really have to modify it to make it work and it would take a second barrel that would accept the smoke from the first one.

scooter

Staff member
I've found lump (even 100% hardwood briquets) burns out faster than a mixed content briquet like K Blue. I can cook longer on K Blue than lump. This is my own experience and may not reflect that of others.
If I want to go low and slow over a long period of time I go with K blue. If I want to go hot and fast for searing I go with 100% hardwood briqs. There is an application for both in my backyard.

yodamel

Hey its not a cold smoker...really cant do that.....you would really have to modify it to make it work and it would take a second barrel that would accept the smoke from the first one.

hey just for clarification I'm trying to maintain 175-200F which I don't believe is considered "cold smoking".

I actually got better results this weekend with briquettes instead of lump and was able to hold 200F for about 5 hours with constant smoke by placing the lite coals in first, and loading the basket with briquettes on top as full as I could get it. It did creep up to about 225F a couple times, but that's OK.

I put up a video link in another thread, showing my heat deffuser plate from SMOKettle, which is helping to keep the upper half of the drum at a constant temperature. The trick is keeping water in the SMOKettle plate.

Thanks for all the advice.

Last edited:

gettinbasted

It comes down to laziness for me. I don't like to fight my cooker or a fire. My drums will run 300 degrees all day long on one load of fuel with almost no effort so I let them. If I want to run low and slow, especially sub 200, it is time to break out the pellets. I do understand and respect the challenge aspect of it, but just understand that you will have uneven results!

Good luck!

yodamel

I was at Dickies BBQ for lunch today. It's a local chain here in North Texas. He told me they cook at 275F and use only wood and gas. No charcoal.

I'm guessing the gas is used to regulate the temperature and keep the wood smoldering, so they probably have it turned down real low; but 275F seems high to me. Maybe it's cause they're a restaurant and have to crank food out faster.

I think for my next smoke I'm going to try only wood.

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
most comp teams cook at 275 dickies uses ole hickory which are the best commercial units I have a model named after me the ACE BP which is charcoal no gas. you are mixing apples and oranges. Start reading some of the recipes here and on pelletsmoking and you will get a feel for the temps The drum is not designed for straing wood you will oversmoke like crazy it is a solid fuel cooker (charcoal) Play with it as its designed and get the hang of it.

gettinbasted

Listen to Big Poppa and you will enjoy your drum instead of being frustrated by it.

Fire up your drum with charcoal only and play around with it. Don't cook anything, just play. What happens when you open the intakes a little? The same with the exhaust? What temperature does it like to run? Watch the smoke. It should be moving out of the exhaust at a good clip, not lazily floating out. A bag of charcoal is a small price to pay to learn how that thing runs.

Next, buy a whole chicken or some wings. Season them up and put them on. Use your senses. That is what makes drum cooking so great! Feel the lid for heat, smell the exhaust, listen for the fat popping on the fire, look at your meat for color. Adapt your recipes to the drum not the other way around. Drum cooking is more art than science and you have to learn your tool to unlock it's full potential.

smokeasaurus

I have found that with briquettes you have a uniformed size that give off reliable steady heat. Lump on the other hand can vary in the sizes of pcs in the bag. I have had some pcs as large as a half branch and of course all the dust and kibble in the bottom of the bag. I feel the drum would have to be choked back sooner as the temps rise using lump to achieve the lower temp you want.......

Top Bottom