How to finish off sharp edge inside stainless drum?

SmokeSt

Hi all - ordered the BPS kit, all put together except for lid. I originally went with a food grade "green" barrel but before I started drilling a buddy convinced me to just find a stainless even though they are bit more $$ as it gets really humid down here in SW florida...and I'd probably have to re-do a regular steel drum.

So I found a SS drum locally but I had to cut the top off and although I was really careful I left a few sharp edges that someone might cut themselves on. I can't file them down...tried. I'm afraid of gouging with an angle grinder. I'm not even sure what tool would work..?

Is there a caulking or rubber seal/tape of some kind I can shape or adhere to inside top to just cover the sharp edges? I know it'll be near food so just want to be safe. It's an ugly smoker so I don't mind if it's not 100% show worthy :)

Thanks in advance!
20150821_181939.jpg

Attachments

• lbqt8ia.jpg
    lbqt8ia.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 332

Salmonsmoker

A 4" angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel should work. I would cut throughthe remaining lid with the blade parallel to the lip. The vertical section of the lid should be enough buffer to prevent gouging through the barrel wall. Or, have a machine shop do it, but it'll cost$$.

SmokeSt

A 4" angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel should work. I would cut throughthe remaining lid with the blade parallel to the lip. The vertical section of the lid should be enough buffer to prevent gouging through the barrel wall. Or, have a machine shop do it, but it'll cost$$.

Ok I'll give it a shot - thanks :cool:

Top Bottom