Air & Exhaust Operation using a Big Pappa UDS Kit

Pappa Roach1

From what I could tell by pictures and the assembly video I was wondering about the start-up procedure using your UDS Kit. Great Looking Kit by the way. Very good design, and well thought out. The price is reasonable. And instructions so everyone can do the same build, so they look factory made.

The kit has 9 each ¾” Exhaust Ports which is approximately 4 Square Inches.
Anywhere between Weber’s Dome Lid’s 4 each ¾” Exhaust Ports 1.75 square Inches, and 4 square Inches seems to be working fine on most UDS builds.

It looked to me like the Kit has 8 each ¾” Air Intake Ports which is approximately 3.5 Square Inches.

This is almost double the Maximum Air Intake Port Area of most other UDS build instructions. Most use either 3 or 4 Intake Ports ¾ inch in diameter. That would be approximately 1.75 square inches of Intake Area. Conventional start up is all open, then shut down to 1 open and a second partially open.

I am guessing that the Big Pappa UDS users are only opening the Air Intake Ports over 2 holes on each Air Intake Assembly on START UP to keep the fire more under control.
Full Open being used when grilling.

I am guessing this information comes with the Kit Instructions.

Intake Air Management as well as Exhaust Port Operation might be a good subject to cover a little better. Lots of different opinions. Most want the Exhaust Ports Full Open all during the cook, but a few shut the ports partially off.
Most use the Exhaust Controls to shut down the fire when done, and keep things out of your UDS ONLY.

Let’s hear from the experts on this.

Bob

Big Poppa

Administrator
the search function should answer this but rarely should you touch your exhaust...the lighting of it I usually start with just half to one of the intake holes open I like to ease up on the temp This is assuming you want to run it at 250 no more then 10-12 lit coals from a chimney or you can use a torch or a weber starting cube.....

Top Bottom