1st cook. Ribs on Maverick drum.

moondog

The wife found me this drum on Amazon. Came with two thermometers. Got him seasoned and doing ribs this weekend. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Charcoal or lump? How much to use and how to start a the fire? What temp? to say I'm a greenie is an understatement. Thanks

Salmonsmoker

Moondog, go to Big Poppa's Smokers website (click on the link above) and watch his short cooking videos on BPTV. You should be able to get all of the info you need there.

Bigfish

The wife found me this drum on Amazon. Came with two thermometers. Got him seasoned and doing ribs this weekend. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Charcoal or lump? How much to use and how to start a the fire? What temp? to say I'm a greenie is an understatement. Thanks

Hi Moondog:

I did not see a link or any pictures of your new drum.

The very best piece of advice I can offer is to purchase a Maverick 732 Thermometer from Big Poppa Smokers. It will allow you to accurately know the smoking temperature on the grate near your food. It will also allow you to monitor the progress of your meat as it climbs during cooking to the desired final tempt.

Enjoy the drum and welcome to the forum.

Ken

moondog

Sorry bout that, I don't have any pics. But it's a Maverick 55 gal drum with ET-73 thermometer.
Hi Moondog:

I did not see a link or any pictures of your new drum.

The very best piece of advice I can offer is to purchase a Maverick 732 Thermometer from Big Poppa Smokers. It will allow you to accurately know the smoking temperature on the grate near your food. It will also allow you to monitor the progress of your meat as it climbs during cooking to the desired final tempt.

Enjoy the drum and welcome to the forum.

Ken

Top Bottom