First Drum Smoke--->Chicken

sheepdad

Did my first drum smoked chicken today. I must say that now I know exactly what everyone is talking about.
The Chicken breasts came out real moist and real tasty. The only downside of the meal was that it started raining
like crazy and forced me to take the chicken off before the skin crisped up. I thought of putting it in the broiler real quick but the family was starving and so was I.

Got some big chicken breast with the rib bone at BJ's, rinsed and rubbed down with EVOO and seasoned them with some McCormick Montreal Chicken tweaked with Ancho chili pepper powder the nite before. Got some Honey Crisp apples from the local farm cored them, saved a plug and stuffed them with Cinnamon, brown sugar, and butter. plugged them up and wrapped them in double foil last nite too.

Today I fired up the drum and put on the apples about 10 minutes before the chicks
2012-10-15_16-51-47_987.jpg

2012-10-15_16-51-39_25-1.jpg

Got the drum stable at 350 and let the chicken and apples go for 50 minutes. Like I said before, the rain came just as I turned the breasts over @ 155degs to crisp up the skin so I only got about 5 minutes on the skin side. It was enough to get the chicken to 162 deg when I pulled them off.

2012-10-15_18-25-39_193.jpg

I don't think I could get the taste that I got from the drum on my grill not to mention the moistness too.
This drum just changed my outdoor cooking big time. Love this thing!

Ok here's some more pics with the apples and some baked beans.
2012-10-15_18-35-38_200.jpg

2012-10-15_18-35-54_165.jpg

2012-10-15_18-35-46_444.jpg

2012-10-15_18-37-08_233.jpg

Last edited:

Deb

nice chicken. I really like the apples. Where did you get the HoneyCrisps... I went to Rogers orchard last week but they didn't have any

sheepdad

Hey Deb, Got them at Hindinger Farm in Hamden. They have a limited supply due to a limited # of fruit bearing trees at the moment and have been out of stock but I found a bag mixed in with a bunch of others and grabbed them. You might want to try Whole Foods though. They get them both locally and from NY so there might be some there. Usually by Mid Oct the HoneyCrisps are done. They gotta be one of the better apples around and are pretty good baked.

I've gone to Rodgers get some Maple Sugar Candy to use in a rub mix I was trying out. Nice store.

Deb

Hey Deb, Got them at Hindinger Farm in Hamden. They have a limited supply due to a limited # of fruit bearing trees at the moment and have been out of stock but I found a bag mixed in with a bunch of others and grabbed them. You might want to try Whole Foods though. They get them both locally and from NY so there might be some there. Usually by Mid Oct the HoneyCrisps are done. They gotta be one of the better apples around and are pretty good baked.

I've gone to Rodgers get some Maple Sugar Candy to use in a rub mix I was trying out. Nice store.

thanks Bob, they might be done at rodgers too, I saw some about 3 weeks ago and didn't grab them, last week they were gone. I live in Wolcott and don't go up to Hartford very often but i'm due for a whole foods trip.

If you are going to use maple sugar you can get it at King Arthur Flour, it might be cheaper than what you can get at Rodgers even with shipping

Top Bottom