nobodies smikin anything?

BabelBBQ

Congratulations!
I cooked, but repeat of chicken wings that I posted a month ago, they were great but no pictures. I also made leftover brisket chili for tonight. I'll add that to my brisket post from last week later.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Will the Grill

I smoked some chicken wings with Harry Soo's Slap Yo Daddy chicken rub, and banana peppers stuffed with chicken wing dip (cream cheese, blue cheese, chicken, mozzarella cheese and Frank's Red Hot sauce.) Unfortunately it was the only good thing about the bills game yesterday.

bcmcmoose

I have been cooking, but nothing was post worthy IMO. I did another double pork butt, and allowed pressure from guests to get me to pull it early, it tasted great, but I knew it needed more time.. I did another couple spatchcock chickens, they were good but I have already posted those,

Tonight I cooked Chicken breasts, bone in, that I skinned before cooking. I rubbed them with EVOO and a Santa Maria Rub and smoked them for about 45min at 350degrees over a chimney of Kingsford Comp on a half basket f leftover lump from the last cook.. Threw on a double handful of cherry chips for smoke. (did some potoatoes for about 60 minutes too).

Chicken as my best yet, perfect smoke flavor,, moist throughout, but I sauced three each with a different commercial sauce, (each slightly blurred in photo). Each of the four family members at home had a different first preference, but all felt the rub only, sans sauce, was the second best. This has led me to the decision that from now on I will be working on creating and perfecting my own house sauce. The smoker itself (BPS EDS Powder coated black) performed flawlessly yet again.
chickensept09_zps73a8e3fd.jpg

chickensept09x2_zps4e7b0679.jpg

BabelBBQ

Leftover brisket chili, sort of using Alton Brown's cheater chili recipe.

I had about 1/2 of the flat left from my cook last week. Cut it into about 1" cubes. browned the cut sides in a cast iron enamel dutch oven. Take them out of the pan and deglaze with 1.5 bottles of beer (since it was cooked brisket, there really wasn't that much to deglaze). Added a jar of red salsa, and half a jar of salsa verde, two chipotle chili's (in adobo sauce) minced plus 1 tablespoon of adobo sauce. Add two tablespoons of chipotle chili powder and 1 teaspoon of cumin, and a couple of handfuls of corn chips.

3.5 to 4 hours in the oven at 325 (I considered just putting it on the drum that was still cooling off from the chicken wings, but I started this at 8 p.m. so I decided to go with inside.

I stirred it every hour or so until the meat was completely broken up. I added a little more beer as need to keep the chili moist. I also added about 1/2 cup of coffee in the final hour.

This is a pretty spicy chili, but tastes so good. My 7 year-old son, who once ran around the room yelling my mouth is on fire after eating a mild chicken wing, ate two helpings. He even drank two glasses of milk with dinner just so he could eat more.

Here is the link to the article that I used as a jumping off point for the chili (i omitted the salt and pepper because of the rub that is already on the cooked brisket Alton Brown's Cheaters Chili.

20130909_231544.jpg

This picture is of cold chili from the fridge, there is a bit more liquid when heated but not too much.

Last edited:

cragcrawler

Smoked a shoulder the other night. I brined it for about 12 hours and covered it in a rub I put together. I used fennel in my rub this time. I like the licorice type flavor it gives. It was a 7lb butt and at the 12 hour mark it still wouldn't break free of the 160 temp range. It was getting late so I decided to put it in a 300 degree oven to finish it off so I could go to bed. When it hit 190 I pulled it out, let it rest for 15 then shredded it and went to bed (of coarse I had a few nibbles first! Lol). It turned out awesome.

Marcus

bcmcmoose

I smoked some chicken breasts up for dinner last Sunday. Made up a marinade using orange, lime, and lemon juices, honey, chipoltles in adobo sauce and garlic. As a condiment a fresh Avocado Salsa. The tortillas I warmed up on the grill.
This cook was on Kingsford Comp, about 325 for 45min (second breast was a little stubborn and went 1hr). Used a small handful of cherry chips for flavor.

Turned out very good, but next time i will double the amount of chipoltle to give it more kick.
20130929_1920011_zpse3984ab1.jpg

20130929_1923471_zps1c903454.jpg

Top Bottom