Drum vs. WSM

hottoddy

I've been smoking for a several years now. After investigating many pellet smokers, I decided to get a WSM and Genesis gasser for quick outdoor cooking. When I want to taste some smoke, the WSM consistently delivers. The gasser works fine for quick outdoor cooking. I really wanted to justify a pellet smoker, but the food always tasted like it came from a (light) wood fired convection oven. But, it seems the way to go if you like a very light smoke profile.

For what I need, the WSM fits the bill. I'm a big fan of the water pan and use simple charcoal and hickory chunks. I can easily get it to hold low temps for longer than needed. I can take the pan out, crack the top or side and get the temps to soar. I can even use just the bottom section alone for a scorching "hibachi" type grill. It's my rib, brisket, chicken and pork machine. I also smoke peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes and make a mean salsa and hot sauce.

The drum appears to be a heavy-duty version of the WSM (which is good). Probably better insulated and sealed. But I don't find any faults with my WSM, and love the water pan (it does make a difference). I was thinking about getting a second WSM but may get a drum. Are their any other drum advantages I missed or should consider?

Thanks and another great site, Big Poppa! I've been on one of your boards since 2002 (EBMM) - but just a lurker on the pellet one.

-hottoddy

Big Poppa

Administrator
Hot toddy

Welcome. As you know from the guitar forums I prefer to not use "vs". It's all abouT choices. The wsm is fabulous. The main difference is the basic style of the juices hitting the coals and sizzling back to the meat. The drum is able to handle the lower temps without water or sand

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
I had a 22 inch WSM and still have a 18. The 22 had a lot of spots it can leak air. In fact if I closed all the vents on the one I had the fire would not snuff out. It made it a bit of a fuel hog. My drum I close the vents and in 20 minutes it is usually at 100º and going down. I am really enjoying the food that comes off the drum and would recommend it as a must have cooker. I don't know how all drums cook. But ours with the Big Poppa kit is sweet. I think a lot has to do with the fire basket and placement.

Greatscott!

Perfect, thanks much. Think I'll pick up a few next time I'm at my favorite restaurant supply store, need some for stuffed pizza, too!

Bigr314

I think the drum gives the a food a flavor that you can not get from anything else. It is so easy to lower or raise temps once you know your drum. I can fill my basket up and get many cooks out of it,depending what I am smoking. I have gone as long as 19 hrs on brisket and still have charcoal left. Now that i have a drum i do not think i will ever use anything else. The results speak for themselves. Another advantage is the amount of meat you can smoke at one time. Last year for my sons grad party i had 3- 8 pound butts on the top grate and wings on the bottom grate.

BabelBBQ

I've only have a drum and a Weber gas grill. I would think it would be more fun to add a new toy than a duplicate of what you already have. Plus getting a drum set up would be cheaper than a second WSM.

Last edited:
Top Bottom