Bbq party

Kbbq

How do guys cook for a party. As far as keeping food. I don't have enough cookers to keep food comming off right as people show up. I plan on making smoked legs, tri tip, ribs, and atbs. I have a weber performer,smokey joe, eds, and a small off set smoker that doesn't hold temp very, so I don't planon using it or the smokey joe. I think I can make ribs on the eds and leave them wrapped in foil, then sauce them at the last minute. Cook the legs on the eds after. Smoke 2 tri tips on the weber . How do u guys do it. Maybe justcook everything and slice them up. And put them in aluminum pans and cover with foil. And not worry about the temps. But instead just worry about getting it all done.

Kbbq

I also just ordered a maverick from BP today should help make cook easier

Last edited:

Will the Grill

The best way to keep food hot for hours with out owning a cambro is in a cooler. I've held shoulders over 12 hours. When they are done cooking immediately wrap in foil and place in a cooler, lay a towel or two over the top and close the lid. When your guests arrive open them up and slice. Try to avoid slicing in advance, you risk loosing temp and moisture. I vended at a car show a few weeks ago and we used our offset smoker as a holding and prep station, to keep the meat hot after we pulled it from the coolers. We cooked 16 shoulder and served 14 of them one at a time with no temp issues.

Kbbq

I've heard of the cooler method for pork butts.. Haven't tried it yet. How would it work for ribs and tri tip. Probably not going to work for the chicken.

Will the Grill

it should work for ribs and tri tip, We have a caterer in the area that only cooks chicken and only offers pick up service. He give you the chicken in a cooler and charges you a $25 deposit that you get back when you return the cooler. I've been at parties and had his chicken hours after it was picked up and it was plenty hot.

Kbbq

Nice WTG. Thanks for the replies. How do u feel about giving the meat a little direct heat before serving to crisp up the skin or to sauce the ribs as the last part. Or should I completely finish everything then foil and cooler. I'm afraid I might dry out the meat.

Big Poppa

Administrator
you dont have to hit the meat again but if you are putting meat in a hot cooler or cambro put it in at a lower internal temp so it doesnt overcook in the cooler

T G

I use a cooler to hold my stuff, and its still hot several hours later. I pull my butts off the smoker and open the foil for about 10 minutes to dissipate some of the heat from cooking, then close the foil back up and let them sit in the cooler for 2 hours. I get nice, hot pork everytime. Ive even held ribs that finished early for about an hour in the cooler with no problems.

hamiltonbarnes

I have used a cooler to hold temp several times. It will hold for hours! I have 25 and 65 quart Yeti coolers that I use and steam comes out when I pull the lid off. One trick to the cooler is to pre-heat is boil some water and pour it in the cooler to get the cooler insulation hot so that your meat doesn't have to do that just pour the water in leave for 10 or 20 mins and drain, wipe dry and close lip until meat is ready to go inside.

Will the Grill

I have used a cooler to hold temp several times. It will hold for hours! I have 25 and 65 quart Yeti coolers that I use and steam comes out when I pull the lid off. One trick to the cooler is to pre-heat is boil some water and pour it in the cooler to get the cooler insulation hot so that your meat doesn't have to do that just pour the water in leave for 10 or 20 mins and drain, wipe dry and close lip until meat is ready to go inside.

I do the same thing, but try leaving it in the pot and you avoid having to drain the water and dry the cooler. Just lift the pot out of the cooler or cambro and you're read to go.

Bigr314

I am going to do the food for my sons grad. party. Thanks for all the tips. No I know how to pull this off.

Top Bottom