Started the cook for my daughter's wedding!

jetmek

I started cooking the Boston butts for my daughter's wedding this morning. Mixed up my rub...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370210211.051317.jpg
Trimmed, injected, and rubbed and in the BPS drum by 10:30am. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370210370.918471.jpg
The fourth guy is down below in a foil pan on the diffuser.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370210462.836732.jpg
My drum has been rolling steady all day between 230-250 deg. Thanks for the advice Big Poppa!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370210789.712806.jpg

jetmek

Here's what they are looking like at 172 internal...
ere3urem.jpg

I'm not sure why but I can't upload pics right to the forum after I have done already done some. Not quite sure why it will let me upload a few, then it tells me the pic is too big to upload for this format. Weird...

jetmek

Thanks! These butts actually have hit 2 stalls! They stalled this afternoon at 176deg, and then stalled again tonight at 184! They are at 188 now and they're coming up on 14 hours!

jetmek

The butt on the diffuser rack didn't do so well. Actually the other three didn't fare so well either. I made a total beginner mistake and only put a temp probe in the one butt on the lower rack. When that butt got to 200, I took them all off the drum, wrapped them and put them in a cooler, and went to sleep for a few hours. (It was after midnight) when I woke up, the butt that was on the diffuser rack was waaaaay over cooked. It was dry and tough. The other 3 on the top rack were under cooked. They were cooked to a safe temp, but judging by the way there was still a lot of fat and connective tissue inside them, they never made it out of the stall. So, I learned a hard lesson. No two pieces of meat cook the same, and to use a temperature probe on each one so that I know if they are ready or not. Well, at least I got the pork butt for $1.29 per lb. and it didn't set me back too far.

MrAdam

Sorry to hear the cook didn't fare as well as you'd hoped. The next time will be better.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Nafle

Sorry to hear that the cook not where optimal :( but the wedding went well I hope. I just got my probeholder from mavric and might get an order for 20 - 30 persons so my alternative is to build another drum. Or modify the one I got. Thanks for the feedback. Ill come back how this went, if i get the gig. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

www.naflebbq.blogspot.com

jetmek

I have time to do a recook! The wedding is the 16th and I already have 4 more pork butts injected and ready to go on the drum in the morning! I have two whole packer briskets to smoke on Sunday too. So I am going to learn from my mistakes and take the advice I got from the great folks here at this forum and have two full days to turn out some good BBQ for our friends and family. Posts and pics to follow of course!

jetmek

Well, I got the 4 butts on at 8:30am. I put all four of them on the top rack, and it was really tight but I got them all on. It took them about 5 hours to get up to 150-155 internal temp.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370815736.441784.jpg
Here is a pic of a dial thermometer that I calibrated and drop into the lid vent to monitor the middle of the grate temp.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370815970.889270.jpg

jetmek

They came out AWESOME! Tender and juicy! Those butts came up to temp almost at the same time and they took almost 20 hours! I had never had such a long cook before. I wrapped them at about 150 I internal temp and they never hit an actual stall, they just took their own sweet time getting to 195! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370936307.214063.jpg
My two pit thermos:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370936366.222211.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370936384.673987.jpg

After a couple hour rest, I pulled all four of them and they we t straight into the vacuum sealer bags till this Sunday! I also cooked the two 15+lb whole packer briskets last night. I will update how they went with pics in a bit.

jetmek

The briskets really made me nervous. I have never cooked a brisket that I thought was tender enough. So I was praying that the brisket Gods would smile down on me this one time since it was for my daughter's day. I had two huge briskets that weighed over 30lbs combined. I trimmed them minimally and injected them both with Butcher's Prime injection.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370936868.043539.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370936885.938398.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370936900.290490.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370937000.945147.jpg
I filled up my charcoal basket with a mix of RO lump and RO briquets with hickory chunks mixed throughout. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370937017.903465.jpg
I used a water pan this time too. Filled with very hot tap water.

jetmek

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370937104.055346.jpg
Here is my drum chugging away at 225 all night long without very much fluctuation at all! I foiled at 150-155 thanks to BP's advice and they both steadily climbed to 200 degrees. Both those big hunks of beef took only about 8-9 hours to finish! They both came out juicy, flavorful, and most of all TENDER! Probably the most tender brisket flat I have ever had anywhere! My wife says I need another smoker so I can cook more BBQ like this and more often!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370937191.097901.jpg
Here is the only pic I have of the finished bovine. I sliced them and dipped the slices back into the beefy drippings before they went into the vacuum bags until the reception!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370937449.281401.jpg
Thanks for everyone for their advice and encouragement! Also thanks to Big Poppa for his advice and having such a great drum smoker kit! I have only had this drum assembled a couple of weeks, but I have turned out the best BBQ that I have ever cooked! Thanks again everybody!

Scottie Walton
(Jetmek)

jetmek

Thank you! I am proud to support an American business. I have always been a fan of your musical instruments and accessories, and now just as well with the products and service of BPS! It's great to spend my money with good American businesses, that provide good American products and

jetmek

Well, the wedding is finally over and it was a huge success. Everyone said they loved my BBQ! In fact, the woman who was helping set up and serve the meal is a caterer and is from Texas. She told me my brisket was excellent and that I should open a food truck! That was the best compliment I could have gotten! My daughter's special day was indeed special. Walking her down the aisle was one of my proudest moments!

Thank you again to BPS and everyone who encouraged me and offered their tips and advice!

Top Bottom