Specialty meats

MrAdam

I'm thinking of maybe getting in a competition or two next year.

I'm just wondering if you guys are using anything special for a competitive edge, like Waygu beef for your brisket, or Berkshire pork for your ribs and Boston butt.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

scooter

Staff member
You can use those specialty meats and some would say it gives them an advantage. There are injection products available that boost moisture and flavor and they also can offer an advantage when applied correctly.
I'm not a competitive cook but I think your biggest advantage as a competition pitmaster is 1) how well you know your cooker(s), 2) having a flavor profile that appeals to the widest audience of judges, 3) how we'll you adapt to environmental situations (rain, cold, wind, scorching heat) and 4) how well you handle the inevitable problems that crop up during a competition(cooker issues, electronic issues, pitmaster memory issues etc).
Having top quality meat is important but I think even more importantly is if you're good at the things I listed above, you can win GC's and RGC's with USDA choice beef and big box store chicken and pork.

Of course, hitting all the right tables in the judging tent is pretty huge but totally out of your control as a pitmaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving

Last edited:

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
The cut of the meat wasn't the issue. When a Waygu brisket is cooked proper it is real good. I would have never bought any if I hadn't tasted one that BP cooked. I may cook a good choice brisket for us. Prime brisket is hard to get around here. The advantage for us when cooking for a party is the Waygu Strube brisket has always been good. Can't say that about the some of the choice ones we have had.

Top Bottom