Different techniques for cooking on a drum

Big Poppa

Administrator
The most basic is the 'smoke' slowly cooked at between 225-275 here is a brisket showing just a straight ahead smoke
IMG_0155-7.jpg

The straight high basket super sear ahi pictured here
IMG_0140-10.jpg

then the reverse sear...or fire basket low and temps low...then finished with fire basket up and high heat sear finish New yorks here
IMG_0185-6.jpg

and fire basket high uncovered and fire rockin....this is super super hot
IMG_0194-5.jpg

The reverse indirect sear
fire basket low and temp between 225-275 until you hit about 110 flip when you hit within 10 degrees of final temp remove and rest the food and open the drum and let the coals ignite totally then sear for about two minutes a side
pork chops here
IMG_0244-9.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

Greatscott!

BP, I love technique posts, thanks so much. How about some YouTube vids featuring the drum? (In all your free time.. lol) :rolleyes:

MrAdam

When doing reverse searing, how long does it take the coals to come up to two for the sear? Should I start a full basket for the cook?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Big Poppa

Administrator
I use ful baskets all the time...but I have a ton of experience on them it is about how many you light. ON the reverse sear it does not take more than about 5-7 minutes to get a good searing heat

Bigr314

Here to,always have a full basket. When u r done cooking,close all vents and it shuts down in know time.

Top Bottom