Sanblasting or burning

smeltitdeltit

Does sandblasting a food grade drum with lining do a better job than burning?
Is it then safe to season and then use?
As in do i still need to do a hi temp pre burn?

Salmonsmoker

If you have the drum sandblasted all you'd need to do is a seasoning burn. The drum is also ready for paint after a wipedown and tack rag. Not so with burning. A lot of cleaning remains.

smeltitdeltit

If you have the drum sandblasted all you'd need to do is a seasoning burn. The drum is also ready for paint after a wipedown and tack rag. Not so with burning. A lot of cleaning remains.

Thanks. Im unable to do a full on burn with pallets etc where i am.
How about a brand new drum, no lining, no rust proofing. Should i still blast it or is it ready for painting and seasoning?

swamprb

In Seattle, we have a barrel recycler that will sell you a reconditioned drum with a lid for $55. They are hip to the Drum smokers and will have an unpainted exterior if you call ahead, otherwise they slap a coat of black paint on them to keep from rusting. Check for that kind of service in your area.

I recently picked up 3 drums with bung lids for $30 with a rust inhibitor lining that burnt out easily, the exterior paint however wasn't that easy to remove. I had them sandblasted along with 6 lids that cost $160, they blasted the interior which wasn't part of the deal, but my lucky day!

New Drums are nice, but finding them unpainted is pretty hard.

Salmonsmoker

A new drum will cost more than a used one, obviously. I called one of the local oil supply companies and got a price of $85 for a new unlined open top barrel. Uline also sells them. There's a rust inhibitor on them. I ended up getting a used one at the same place that swamprb mentions. They steam cleaned the barrel for me. I stripped the exterior paint off myself. I had my second drum and a drum that I got for my son-in-law sandblasted inside and out. That was the easiest route. Where are you located smelt? There is a thread here that has a short list of barrel dealers. You might be near one of them.

D4RKN355

Any one in Southern Maryland know of someone who can do the blasting?
I just picked up a 55gal drum for like $22 which left some room in the pocket for an upgrade of sorts, can't think of a better one than sand blasting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D4RKN355

I have only been able to find one online but I was hoping for some recommendations.
I am not looking to spend an arm and a leg.

Salmonsmoker

I hear ya on the $$. Commercial and industrial painters also do sandblasting for water towers, bridges etc. Auto body shops are an option. If you can locate some of those, a phone call to them might give you a lead to the right place. For reference, mine cost me a $50 bill for a complete sandblast inside and out.

D4RKN355

I hear ya on the $$. Commercial and industrial painters also do sandblasting for water towers, bridges etc. Auto body shops are an option. If you can locate some of those, a phone call to them might give you a lead to the right place. For reference, mine cost me a $50 bill for a complete sandblast inside and out.

Awesome idea on the auto body shop folks. The one commercial place quoted me $50 for exterior only. Doing the inside would be another $50 bill. Currently following a lead on an Amish fellow. No phone makes it a little difficult but I'm getting close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom