BBQ Guru

cragcrawler

Hello all!

Merry Christmas! I hope this post finds everyone healthy, happy, in good spirits this holiday season.

I was given the gift that will keep on giving. I received the BBQ Guru. Now I know why my wife wanted me to cook ribs today!

Hooked it up and set the slide to half open and the exhaust on the lid all the way open. I set it too 235 and I heard the alarm going. Went down and the temp shot up to 273. Closed the exhaust to almost closed and reduced the fan slide to almost closed and the temp came down the I opened the slide to half again and left the exhaust alone.

The purpose of this is to find out what tips/tricks/experiences others have had with the Guru.

Marcus

swamprb

I normally set the Guru fan damper at 50% and set the pit temp @25* below what my target temp will be. That way I can ramp it up manually should it get too much air and run off. Do this with all my pits.

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
I do the same as swamprb. Also try to have the drum temp controlled as much as possible with. Only the vent with the guru just topping off the final degrees

cragcrawler

Update: these tips that were provided worked really well! My only issue now is when I open up the drum to check my meat for color and feel, the temp spikes real high because of the sudden rush of air. Any thoughts on bringing the temp down?

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
The guru has a lid open mode . Make sure it is turned on. Plan your moves so the lid is open for a short time. If the guru is sensing a big temp drop it maybe causing the spike.if so just unplug the fan for 5-10 minutes

swamprb

Update: these tips that were provided worked really well! My only issue now is when I open up the drum to check my meat for color and feel, the temp spikes real high because of the sudden rush of air. Any thoughts on bringing the temp down?

The guru has a lid open mode . Make sure it is turned on. Plan your moves so the lid is open for a short time. If the guru is sensing a big temp drop it maybe causing the spike.if so just unplug the fan for 5-10 minutes

I try to work outside the drum and do all my temping or turning on the grate on a work table.

Top Bottom