Hanging ribs

Vindii

Ive seen pics of people hanging ribs in their drums. Can anyone tell me what they like better about this VS laying flat? Whats the advantage? When you wrap I assume you lay them flat? I would think the bottom would get darker or burn being so close to the basket?

cjarchow

I tried it a couple of times. My pics are in the smoker kit section. You are correct at least for my test the bottom section were more cooked than the top. I understand the concept. Juices running down should keep the bottom meat moist and not allow it to overcook. Didn't happen for me the first time but my ribs were literally almost touching the coals. The second time I tried it, I cut the ribs in half and they came out beautiful and damn near perfectly cooked. Since then I have cooked ribs the normal way and am happy with the results. It seems like every little mod I try with the drum, I always go back to the original concept. It's fun to tinker though. I like the fact that I can hang many more racks than can fit laying flat on the grate if I need to even if they are split in half. Of course, I have never cooked that many ribs at once but I may try it one day just for fun.

gettinbasted

I've been hanging ribs in my cans for 3 years. They cook more even because of the way the heat flows over the ribs. I've never had a problem with the bottom burning. I do lay them flat after wrapping.

swamprb

Hung some Babybacks in the 22" WSM with the Hunsaker Vortex firebasket-turned out pretty damn good!

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

Chili Head

Wow those ribs look great!
Ive been wanting to try this method for awhile now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom