First drum

Vindii

Just built my first drum. All my experience is cooking on kamado's. Looking forward to trying this thing out.

Ive seen pics of diffuser with a bunch of holes in them. I assume it just to allow some of the direct heat up? Whats the advantage to this vs just a solid plate?

Seen some that dont use a diffuser. Doesnt the bottom burn? Would this only work on low temps or will it work hot and fast too?

When people talk about cooking hot and fast on a drum what temp does that refer to? Ive seen some say 275 is hot. What the hottest people have cooked with good results?

Any difference running with a controller vs natural air? Aside for ease of use. Any difference in the cook or results?

gettinbasted

There is a difference between diffusing heat and trapping heat below the plate. The holes allow a drum to convect. I cook at 300-350 over direct heat (although I accidentally made a pork diffuser plate below my brisket last weekend at KOS, won't do that again!). I go fat cap down and don't have any burning problems, but you have to pay attention.

A well built drum does not need a controller. I use Gateways.

Good luck!

Vindii

There is a difference between diffusing heat and trapping heat below the plate. The holes allow a drum to convect. I cook at 300-350 over direct heat (although I accidentally made a pork diffuser plate below my brisket last weekend at KOS, won't do that again!). I go fat cap down and don't have any burning problems, but you have to pay attention.

A well built drum does not need a controller. I use Gateways.

Good luck!

When you say you cook direct do you mean with the diffuser plate with the holes or with no diffuser at all?

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

Vindii

First tried a 19" plate for a deflector. Didnt care much for that. Might be too large a diameter. GOt this one made up. Havent cooked with it yet. I bet its better than the solid plate.

IMG_20151222_183339_zpsoiibbkwa.jpg

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
Some of the magic of the drum is that the meat juices get on the hot coals. We do use a deflector only to neutralize the hot spot that sometimes occurs in the center. Temp controllers I do use. BUT !! It is only used as a crutch. Ideal is all the heat is controlled only with the vents and the controller is only if the temp dropped and I wasn't around. What I'm trying to say if you don't have a controller don't buy one. Try your drum using just the vents. One mistake new users run into is lighting to many coals at first.

Top Bottom