First time brisket nerves ( BPS )

smokey420

I will be trying out a 5kg brisket from my butcher next week

I've not cooked anything of this size before and was after any tips.

I was thinking for a cook this long I will need some sort of heat deflector, Would a 14 inch pizza pan with hole in be ok or does it have to be bigger? I can get my hands on a large clay saucer also.

Any help would be great!

Smokey

deerboner

I have never used a deflection device and have smoked at least 9-10 briskets. They always turn out great. Only tips I have is find a rub you like and let her smoke!!! I think the bigger cuts are easier to manage. I plan on 2 hrs per pound. And it's always right on. Pull the brisket @200 and wrap in foil then a large beach towel and put it in a cooler for ½ hr. That's my method for my 8-10lb brisket. I have had issues keeping a fire that long but I do a quick (very quick) reload half way through on the heavier ones.

Big Poppa

Administrator
the reason why he doesnt need a deflector plate is the low temp of 200. I think you should rotate the brisket a few times during the cook ad even flip it over. I wont get into the fat side up or down except I would start fat side down

bbq-ram

thats a long cook. Get the temp settled and dirty smoke out of the way before putting on the meat. I use a small amount of lit coals over an almost full basket of unlit coal topped with choice wood chunks. This set up lets me run all the vents wide open for a while until temps start to raise. After that keeping temps at 220-225 is easy with about one hole open on each bottom vent. Lid is wide open.

I do set up a small drip pan to catch the drippings.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
Gus

gettinbasted

Beef really lets a drum shine, but to get the most out of it you should crank up the temperature a bit. No deflector plate. The fat and juices vaporizing on the fire provides moisture and flavor. The number one place to screw up is to pull it early!

It's too long to post here, but I've got a hot and fast brisket guideline out on the Gateway Drum Smokers Blog.

swamprb

Beef really lets a drum shine, but to get the most out of it you should crank up the temperature a bit. No deflector plate. The fat and juices vaporizing on the fire provides moisture and flavor. The number one place to screw up is to pull it early!

It's too long to post here, but I've got a hot and fast brisket guideline out on the Gateway Drum Smokers Blog.

This is a great tutorial! And if you can't get your head around this technique, you might as well throw in the towel!

http://blog.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/the-white-rabbit//

smokey420

Thanks for the replys!

Ive been playing around this week, by using a pizza pan with loads of holes in it over the fire basket i had even temps all over the drum measured in 4 places. I think i'm gonna go with that for the cook for a couple of reasons. The brisket is massive and wont cook evenly without me moving it ,and when i have done beef ribs previously the bottom of the rack was extremely charred and i would worry about the direct heat drying out the meat.Our briskets in the uk are very different from yours and are not as fatty so this could be an issue.

I plan on doing this cook overnight using my new CyberQ that just turned up :)

I'll let u know how i get on

Thanks again

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
Use the CyberQ. Set the drum to be close to the target temp but about 10 degrees lower using the vents. Then turn on the CyberQ and let it do the rest.

Top Bottom