a few newbie questions

jaydubya

Hey all. Been wanting to try a smoker and it looks like from a budget perspective, a drum smoker might be the way to go. I have a few questions though before I make the leap. I have access to a few free drums. A friend of mine has them and said that they contained food products (cooking oils I think). Is it a safe assumption that they are unlined since they contained food product? How does one tell if they are lined? Would the lining be visible?

Big Poppa

Administrator
If they were food grade they are going to be fine What you want to do is to really burn it out and its easier to burn ones that are not lined

DjPorkchop

You can easily tell if they are lined or not. Some liners are a tan looking color while other liners look like a red oxide color.

Most, not all, food grade drums I have saw were lined and it can be a pita to get the liners off. Sandblasting works real nice if it fits your budget.

And as far as budget goes, you can't go wrong with a drum smoker. Especially a Big Poppa EDS. They are great for smoking and grilling both.

Take care!

Simply adding to the post since it is a similar question. I am having a manufacturer build me a virgin unlined no rust inhibiter food grade drum. They will only supply it with the outside painted. Do I still need to burn the exterior paint of or? I don't believe these things get hot enough to damage the exterior paint. Am I incorrect.

Salmonsmoker

If the manufacturer is using standard paint on the exterior of the barrel it will burn off. You'll need a high temp. paint if you want to keep the outside nice and rust free.

D4RKN355

Another newbie here: should I get rid of the rubber gasket in the lid? My drum previously has lemon concentrate in it. Or should I try to carefully remove, clean, & re-install it. I know cooking temps won't be too high but I am not sure that the gasket will be safe/smart to keep

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom