Cooking for the masses

DrumDumb

OK. It just got real. I gave half of the pulled pork I made yesterday to a couple I know, and now they want me to cook for a big party they are having in a couple of weeks. I am hoping the experts here can help me answer a few questions.

1. How many people can I expect to feed with an average 8 to 9 pound pork butt?

2. I have a 2:00 pm feed time. How much "goodness" do you loose by doing the night before and re-heating? My drum cooks a butt in 6 hours. Should I just get up early and do it before the party? (1 hr for clean fire, 6 hour cook, and 1 to 2 hr sit time for the pork. So 9 hrs prior?

3. What is the recommended sit time for a butt after it comes out of the drum anyway?

Any advice is welcome!

smokeasaurus

I did a pork butt cook for 200 people last year. I did a overnight cook and they were done at 11 am the next morning. I double wrapped em in two layers of hd foil and had them in a cooler. I had to drive 100 miles to bring the pork. The reception ran later than expected and I didn't actually pull the pork until 5:30 pm. They were still hot and everybody loved the pulled pork.

So to answer question 3: while two hours is my normal sit time, I was able to pull it off with a 6 1/2 hour sit time.

Question 1: I did 6 full shoulders and had plenty to spare. Keep in mind that the pork is going on buns, ya got cole slaw, side dishes...alcohol.........

Question 2: you lose no goodness if you reheat the full butt and then pull.

Hope this helped.

DrumDumb

Thanks Smoke! Heck yeah it helps! 200 people??!! Damn. I would need another rack to cook on. Maybe I should just build another drum. You know. Just in case. :D

Salmonsmoker

That's what I did, DD. Wife rolled her eyes..."why do you need two?" :confused:
I have two and they've come in handy for different cooks at the same time. They will both be in full use for my granddaughter's graduation in June. Meat, meat, more meat.

smokeasaurus

Thanks Smoke! Heck yeah it helps! 200 people??!! Damn. I would need another rack to cook on. Maybe I should just build another drum. You know. Just in case. :D

Considering the head count started at 50 and kept growing.........Always good to cook a bit more than needed. Keep some gallon size freezer bags handy and bag up any leftovers........

I did a Texas BBQ for 300 people 3 years ago. Had to do 6 briskets 4 pork butts and grill 300 chicken thighs..........that cook darn near killed my, I am just a backyard guy that some how gets hornswoggled into these situations......kinda like when you buy a truck and you end up helping everybody under the sun move.......:confused:

Big Poppa

Administrator
ok you lose no goodness if you handle properly and pull the night before. pull and season and place in airtight big heavy duty baggies. NO more than 3 lbs in each. Re heat the next day

also a very good tip for feeding masses especially ribs is to always and I mean always put the protein at the end of the line...let them pile all the other stuff up...if you do it backwards they wil load the plate with pork and then not have room fo the sides and end up wasting the pork

DrumDumb

Thanks. That's great advice about the protein at the end. I never thought about it that way.

So, just curious as to the best way to reheat? Oven i'm assuming?

Top Bottom