Back to drumming

smokeasaurus

Howdy all,

About 10 years ago, I got a drum from Rocky Richmond in North Carolina. They were called BDS ( Big Drum Smokers ). I was hooked on that old fashioned Grandpa pit flavor the drum produced and it was all I used. I even grilled in the darn thing. There was no way to raise up the charcoal basket in the BDS. Mine was a 75 gallon BDS and it was a beast. Lost some arm hairs and parts of beards while grilling but I couldn't be stopped. I used to light my drum with a weed burner from Harbor Freight (fun stuff). After about 4 years of heavy constant use, one night my parents and young-ens said they were tired of the flavor of my Que ( who are these people :(), my beloved BDS was sold to a fellow BDS owner up the coast in California that used his for chicken cooks at his parents Mexican Restaurant. So my Queing odyssey begun to find a replacement. You name it, I had it, Weber,Pits by JJ,Char-Broil,Kingfisher Cookers and so many more and then I discovered the Pit Barrel Cooker. They didn't like that either. Almost stopped cooking for em :mad:

Well, lost my parents last year, let my kids go off on their paths, married a drop-dead gorgeous Brunette and bought a house in Crestline California (San Bernardino National Forest).

Pretty happy with my life and queing. I am a global moderator at lets talk bbq forum, but there isn't any UDS style cooking going on there.

My current cooking line up is a Texas Pit Crafters offset (my neighbor supplies me with live oak from around here), Quality Grill from Detroit, Porcelain coated Pit Barrel Cooker and a PK Grill. I do have plans of adding a Wine Barrel electric smoker later this year. It will come in handy on snow days.

I pulled the trigger over at Bubbas Barrels on a used SS drum with the BPS enhanced kit and I can hardly wait for that sucker to get here. Once I figure out how this bad boys works and I got it figured out, I got a Wagyu/Kobe brisket from Snake River Farms for the initial cook.

I can hardly wait for that old time grandpappy flavor that only a UDS type smoker can produce and I thank all of you for having me....................and guess what, I still have my weed burner ;)

Top Bottom