Full smoke on one batch of lump?

clund522

Hi, I'm relatively new to Drum smoking. This will be my second season using it. Should I be getting a full 8-12 hour smoke out of one batch of lump with chunks of wood? My basket in my homemade drum smoker is rectangle 6x12 and I'm filling it with one full chimney of lump and a layer of briquettes already in the basket. Last year I had to add more lump about halfway through. I was also having a huge up and down swing on temps. After reading some streams here, I'm learning more on how to control my temp better, using the bottom vents and not the top like I had been doing. I'm pretty sure this is all about temp control from the start, to help conserve the lump and not burn it all up, but I was wanting to see anybody could give me any advice.

Thanks.

Big Poppa

Administrator
yes and what I suggest without seeing your basket..it top make sure its full...I also think for a low and slow cook that one full chimney lit is too much a quarter to a half is fine...

gettinbasted

6x12? That sounds like a small fire basket to me. You may want to look at getting something larger. That being said, a full load of charcoal should be plenty for a long cook. Try filling your basket and using a paraffin starter cube placed on top to get it going instead of a full chimney. You are burning a bunch of fuel before you ever start cooking.

bbq-ram

A fully light chimney will make for a super hot start. Then your fighting it to get it down to the low 200's. Try half chimney.

gus

6x12? That sounds like a small fire basket to me. You may want to look at getting something larger. That being
said, a full load of charcoal should be plenty for a long cook. Try filling your basket and using a paraffin starter cube placed on top to get it going instead of a full chimney. You are burning a bunch of fuel before you ever start cooking.

Pappa Roach1

I will be getting some experience on a Rectangular Charcoal basket shortly myself. My little brother is almost through with a rebuild with several improvements on a Brinkman Pitmaster Delux offset smoker.
Among the improvements he has made are Tuning Plates, and a Rectangular Charcoal Basket. He is at a stand still waiting on the fabrication shop to get the Charcoal Basket welded up at the moment.

What I would try using your Rectangular Charcoal Basket:
I would round up a 50 ounce Tomato Juice can (4.25 X 7) and cut out both ends making a cylinder. Place the cylinder in the center of your basket. You might even mash the can into more of an EGG Shape. Now add your lump around the sleeve. You can then add your hot coals from the chimney to the sleeve, and then quickly remove the sleeve with pliers. You now have your burning coals centered in your fresh coals which should help with your burn.

Long Term Fix:
Make or buy a round Charcoal Basket.
No resources, you can buy just the charcoal basket from Big Pappa. He sells the one from his UDS kit.
OR make one using an 18” Weber charcoal grate. They are around $10 at Lowes . You will also need a 6 – 9 inch X 58 Inch piece of expanded metal for the basket sides. Add a Pizza Pan for the ash pan spaced 3 inches below the grate, and a Bale and you are set.
I think you will find that Round works better than rectangular.
Start using the sleeve to get the hot coals in the center of the cold coals.

Bob

smokeasaurus

To chime in, I always used a full charcoal basket in my drum smoker. You can always shut down the intakes and save the coal for the next cook. In fact, I don't recall ever dumping out my basket. I would just stir the coals around and add new to keep the basket full for the upcoming cook.............

bcmcmoose

As big poppa stated. Small amount of fuel in chimney to start. Easier to stabilize if you start to close things up just short of your target temp. also, your top vent should be fully open or nearly so at pretty much all times. I find I can get 15hrs on a basket no problem. And often I'm running with the top open and just a sliver of one hole one on each lower vent.

BabelBBQ

I usually only put about 8-10 briquettes in my chimney starter. I usually get a full cook of Kingsford Comp Briquettes. The only exception is middle of winter when it is below freezing outside.

Top Bottom