1st time Smoking a Turkey....

sanchezqf

So I'm a newbie to the concept of smoking BBQ. Just recently I've started experimenting with my drum smoker and managed to ruin a few slabs of ribs. The good news I'm getting better....

This Thanksgiving I decide to smoke the Turkey...:D

I decided to go with the Spatchcock method....
photo1_zps39cc640d.jpg

I decided to go heavy on the Little Louie's and little on the Money & Jallelujah rub
photo2_zps44d9e3ce.jpg

Let the smoking begin, I decided to use apple wood chips, just 1.5 small chunks...I'm still learning on gauging the right amount of smoke I need. I've also read that poultry absorbs smoke fairly quick, again I've learned the hard way. :eek:
photo3_zpsb559ea12.jpg

so now I wait....and watch my temp at 300, this is my setup...

photo4_zpsf134cdc9.jpg

Okay, this is the end result....

photo5_zps25534ae0.jpg

scooter

Staff member
I know what you're saying about smoke on poultry. I use applewood exclusively on anything with wings.
Any plated pics?

sanchezqf

Best Turkey I've ever had...(pat myself in the back)...Really good flavor and very juicy, I'm going smoke another for Christmas.

-No plated pictures, was to busy enjoying the food...Ha! Next time for sure...

BabelBBQ

What level did you put the charcoal basket on? I did two turkeys this year for Thanksgiving. One in the oven (Alton Brown's Recipe) and one on the smoker (dry brined).

It was cold outside, and I had trouble getting the temp up to 300. No trouble near the end of the cook when I decided to move the basket up.

As far as taste goes, the smoked was preferred by the adults, the oven by the kids.

Top Bottom