Hanging Ribs?

naclh2ohall

Hey guys-I've had my BPS drum for a few months now, could not be happier. I'm curious if anyone has attempted to mod the drum to hang ribs? I've seen it and read about it, just curious about it. Seems like I can increase the number of slabs for parties. 4th of July coming up and got some folks coming over......Planning on ribs and pulled pork.

Also, is there any advantage to cooking them this way?

Thanks-

cjarchow

I was thinking the easiest way to do it would be add some more bolts for a higher grate and then just cut the individual bars out of a grate except for a couple to hang the meat on. Could even make the hooks from the bars that were cut out. Probably wouldn't support a brisket but would hold a rack of ribs for testing purposes.

cjarchow

Finally got around to drilling my drum and adding some rebar to hang some meat and see what happened.
2015-08-20%2018.02.02_zpshjlhu9n7.jpg

What they looked like before saucing after 2.5 hours hanging
2015-08-20%2020.23.43_zps58limdfr.jpg

Final results
2015-08-20%2021.13.27_zpsq298ck5z.jpg

I will tell you that I didn't let them hang long enough because I was scared they would fall. The end closest to the fire was over cooked and tough. Edible but tough. I closed off the exhaust for the entire cook to try to duplicate the PBC and just to see what would happen. The temperature maintained 250 on the gauge with two intake holes open. I was surprised about that. Other than the first few ribs that were overcooked the rest of the rack was delicious. I wish I would have let them hang 30 more minutes before saucing but there is always next time.

swamprb

...so, I'm using the Hunsaker Vortex firebasket in my BPS can. I haven't hung any ribs in it (yet), but I picked up a Weber Hanging Meat rack for the 22" WSM that works fantastic in the BPS!

Chicken halves

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

Tri-Tip

IMG_1336.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

To get an idea of what ribs look like hanging above the Vortex basket-this was in my 22" WSM

IMG_2188.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

stay hungry!

Top Bottom