Charcoal briquettes or lump charcoal ?

Quadman750

New to charcoal cooking, what do you use for a long low & slow cook, briquettes or lump & how long of a cook can you get out of each.

Big Poppa

Administrator
not all charcoal is created equal...there are many differences between the different briquettes and different lump...I use Hast bake lumb which is made by ozark oak If I have to use briquettes I use Kingsford comp but many swear by the blue bag but I dont like the flavor of the additives in it...but like I said some love it. Cheaper briquettes dont get hot enough burn too quickly and are heavy on the residual ash.

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
Kingsford comp or blue bag. Only use blue bag when on sale. If paying regular price then it is Kingsford Comp brown bag

smokeasaurus

Kingsford Blue gives off steady reliable heat every time. Lump burns hotter and has less ash, but I feel due to the different sizing of the pcs and not to mention the useless kibble in every bag you will get more cooking time for your money with briquettes. Royal Oak makes a nice briquette in 40 lb bags. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

bcmcmoose

hello quadman. I. have not mixed them in a specific ratio,but I always cook on a full basket, just adding to what's already in there. so I often get a mix, never seems to be an issue, as long as the majority is the heat source I'm looking for

Top Bottom