Smoking Pork Butts

Bigr314

image.jpg Put 2 butts on smoker at 5 this morning. Our some mustard and rub on them yesterday wrapped in plastic and in the fridge for 18 hours. In my UDS at 240 fat side down. After 5 hours. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

scooter

Staff member
What did you learn from this cook pertaining to applying rub 18 hours in advance of the cook? Did the pork taste hammy?

Bigr314

The pork did not taste hammy at all. I did not know that could be an issue. Next time I will do it right before the go on the smoker and see if I can tell the difference. Thanks for the heads up.

scooter

Staff member
It depends on the rub you use. If it has a lot of sugar and salt, then a curing of sorts begins to happen as hours pass. The texture and taste begins to resemble a ham and the degree depends on the variables. When I started smoking I did trials of this sort. I'd take two identical cuts of meat and apply rub to one the day before then apply rub to the other within an hour of cooking then cooked them side by side and compared the end result of the two side by side.
My family preferred the taste of meat seasoned shortly before cooking over meat that had sat overnight on seasonings. YMMV

Bigr314

The rub has brown sugar but not a lot of salt.it has salt,black pepper,cayenne,paprika,chili powder,cumin,garlic powder,onion powder.

Top Bottom