Lid Gasket Removal?

chowderblue

The drum I purchased came with a gasket inside the lid. What is the best/safest way to get rid of this? Burn it? Some sort of water or mineral based stripper? I removed most of it with a knife but there is still some adhesive and small chunks of the gasket itself. Please advise. Thanks

DerbyCityQ

I scraped out what I could with a screwdriver and burned out the rest with a weed torch. It was a bad idea. Had a mess of watery rubber and glue to try and wipe up. I suggest scrape out what you can and use Goof-Off or Xylene to remove the rest. Unless you like working with napalm. :)

Mike

DerbyCityQ

Are you sure its a good idea to use those products? Worried about harmful vapors etc.

They should dry with no residue. But you could burn it afterwards to be sure. A sandblaster would work as well. I was just sharing my experience with the rubber and glue melting and becoming very dangerous.

jshep

Wow, guess I got very lucky! My gasket pulled right out by hand, all in one piece. A little adhesive remained, but that just rubbed away with my fingers, too. Now I'm wondering what to do with this foam ring...

larsfillmore

Probably a little late, I just finished my drum and used a Wagner heat gun to soften the adhesive and the gasket came off nice and clean.

Toddler

This is my exact problem too. I bought a barrel that was already burned out and ready to go, then the guy who sold it to me ripped the gasket out of a new lid and that ended up leaving a ton of adhesive inside the lid and all over the lip of the barrel. Another forum told me to burn the residue off with a weed torch. After reading this thread, I am thinking that may be a bad idea. I'll probably just try varnish thinner, but where the heck do you find a sandblaster?

Toddler

If anybody else comes across this thread, I used lacquer thinner and a couple of shop rags, and it worked perfectly.

Top Bottom