1st KCBS Comp Hillbilly Hog BBQ Throwdown

hamiltonbarnes

This past weekend I competed in my first KCBS comp, Hillbilly Hog BBQ Throwdown in Clevland GA. I used the drum, WSM, and acorn (green egg knockoff my buddy has). We cooked brisket and chicken on the drum. Chicken got all 9s by one judge as did ribs and sauce - the rest must have been confused. Placed 4th in sauce and didn't come in last in anything. We had a pretty primitive set up compared to most teams. Temps went down into the 20's and the acorn and the WSM had to be refueled, but the drum went strong from around 6pm friday night until 1:00 saturday afternoon. I was super impressed with the performance of the drum. I would have liked to have been called up to get a throphy, but there is always next time and we know alot more now than we did. It was one of the coldest cooks I have ever done period and for our first comp I think we did ok. I have to take better knives, I also competed in people's choice wings and pulled pork, so we bit off alot for our first comp.
My girlfriend did a great job on the boxes as it was her first time doing them.

null_zps53e8c4fa.jpg

null_zpse7991e18.jpg

null_zpsf1b4c878.jpg

null_zpsf24731cd.jpg

null_zpsd8f62d2f.jpg

null_zpsf990856e.jpg

null_zps3f40ecca.jpg

scooter

Staff member
Nice first comp! Let me know if you're looking for some appearance feedback from a KCBS judge.

Top Bottom