First Ever St. Louis Ribs!

Bigfish

I spent yesterday smoking St. Louis Style Ribs and getting to know my new Big Poppa Drum Smoker while watching some football. Previously, all of the ribs I have cooked were Baby Backs as I just did not know how to prepare a St. Louis Slab for a smoker. I followed the preparation instructions I found on a You Tube Video and was surprised how easy it turned-out to make a presentable slab.

I used the Maverick Grill Probe placed toward the center of the grate to monitor temperature of the smoker and maintained the tempt between 230-250. I used Apple Wood Chunks on top of the coal basket. We applied a rub to the ribs on Saturday Evening and left them in the refrigerator overnight. I smoked them uncovered for 3 hours, covered them in foil for an hour and then sauced them uncovered for 30-40 minutes. As you can see in the picture I could not pick them up with tongs without them falling apart. I probably should not have put them into the foil.

The final result! My wife and I both thought they were the best ribs we have ever eaten. Fall off the bone tender, yet you could taste the flavors from the meat, bark and sauce. I look forward to cooking ribs again soon!

StLouisRibs102013.jpg

102013StLouisRibsReadytoEat.jpg

Last edited:

scooter

Staff member
It wasn't the foil so much as it was the time in the foil. Cut your foil time in half with the scenario you supplied above. Check for tenderness.

Bigr314

Very nice looking ribs. I smoked some St. Louis Style ribs for the first time and the same thing happened to me. I did 3 hours on the grate then 2 hours in foil. When i went to take them out of the foil a put back on the grate they started to fall apart. Like you said they were fantastic though.

Top Bottom