Last minute pork butts

Kevinish

I had an interesting Thursday night. My wife is the maid of honor in a friends wedding on Friday and I got a call Thursday night that their lunch caterer fell through, so I came to the rescue. I ran to costco and picked up 4 pork butts and a bunch of Hawaiian rolls.

I made an injection with a can of peach nectar I had, along with sugar, salt and some other goodies. I also used this opportunity to use up a bunch of rubs I had that were getting low. I mixed them all up in a bowl.

I started cooking at about midnight, I set me maverick probe to alarm me if the drum dropped below 200 or went above 350. I also set the alarm to wake me up when the pork hit 170 so I could foil it. That happened around 4:30, so I dragged my butt out of bed and foiled the pork and put in a a little Tennessee red sauce for foil love. They finished around 8 or 9 oclock. Then I coolered them until lunch time. Sorry, I didn't get a final pulled shot.

It was a huge hit and some people said it was better than the catered dinner that night!

By the way, I called a bbq joint to get a quote on pulled pork for 70 people and they wanted $350, so I saved $300 right there. Drums already paid for itself!

jLCg9FU.jpg

IBmKFok.jpg

NwPyiFp.jpg

RPwJLrk.jpg

87p0Ct3.jpg

cragcrawler

That's awesome! Was there any differences in times, temps, or amount of charcoal used for four butts instead of one?

Marcus

Kevinish

Not really, They cooked in about 8 hours, which is fairly normal. Temps stayed between 225 and 275 from what I could tell while I was awake. When I was done, I had about 1/5 of a basket of charcoal left.

Kevinish

Auxren

They pulled super easy. I bring them up to about 202 deg, then put them in a cooler for hours. They're so tender you just look at them and they pull apart. I like to keep mine pretty chunky, so it only takes about 30 seconds to pull each one. You should definitely try it.

Top Bottom