Smoked Pekin Duck

drewbixcubed

So, I finally had a weekend at home and wanted to try something new....I went for DUCK! Turns out, I had a lot to learn (and still do)!!! First off..PEKING (with a G) is a Chinese way of preparing duck, while PEKIN (without the G) is a breed of duck. Pekin is a healthy "alternative" meat due to minimal amount of fat in the meat, and the fact that you can remove the fatty skin if desired. I left the skin on ;)

First things first.....The brine: Combine all ingredients, submerge the bird, and leave overnight.
kosher salt
pink salt
orange/peach/mango juice
whole allspice "corns"
whole black peppercorns
thyme
chives
bay leaves
smashed garlic cloves
minced yellow onion
balsamic vinegar
honey
photo 10.jpg

After the brine, it is VERY IMPORTANT to let the bird dry (3+ hours) in order to get the skin dry so the fat can render out. After about 3.5 hours I sliced slots in the thick and tough skin, being sure not to cut the meat. This will help the rendered fat drip out during the cook. Then a healthy rub down with some BPS Money.
photo 40.jpg

I used a Cabernet infused oak barrel chunk for my smoke (wrapped on foil)....LOVE the smell of the sugars. After about 1 hour at 250, I pulled the duck at about 170 for a final rest at 180. I seared the skin for about 30 seconds, but it was so fatty, it really started to char...but still turned out great!
photo.jpg photo 50.jpg photo 5.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom