need rib help

sparky

i never thought i would be saying that. i can cook ribs pretty good w/ Lucile. in Ursula, not so good. ok, you decide what i'm doing wrong.

drumming062.jpg

drumming069.jpg

drumming074.jpg

drumming078.jpg

drumming106.jpg

drumming113.jpg

drumming128.jpg

drumming124.jpg

drumming138.jpg

drumming141.jpg

dry and very untasty. just down right icky. help. i have cooked ribs on Ursula using 225, 250 and 275 temps at the gauge. going to winco right now to get some spares. can't afford bb backs until i figure this out.

Rangerj

Well, they look pretty good.

Could you tell me how long you cooked them both in and out of foil?

Here is what I know.. Baby Backs cook faster and IMHO are not as forgiving as spares. So, there is that.

Drums cook faster and I've heard all kinds of convection stories, but I'm going to out and say that its because no matter how you slice it, your cooking over direct heat.

I would recommend you get an oven thermometer and set it right next to the ribs. I'll go out on a limb and say that its going to be hotter than the temp gauge which is on the side.

A technique I've learned over the years, is to stack those ribs up against the sidewall, not sure what you call in baby backs but for spares, knuckle side down. While your waiting for the proper pull back. If its on the side by the provided thermometer, your pretty close to spot on.

Just takes practice on these, once you get it down, you'll be very happy.

sparky

3 hours w/ out foil. 1 hour in foil and then finish up out. i will try the thermometers in the grill also.

meat man

Our ribs cooked faster, we did spares in 4 hours. I'll often place a soda can with water on the grate to add some moisture in the pit.

Rangerj

There is no need to add anything for moisture. You just have to practice with this type of cooker, it cooks faster.

Top Bottom