Finally got my kit! Vent question

Jake79

First off the the quality of the parts blew me away, really like the grate design with the handles all the way on the outer edge and the finish seems nice too. The stainless fasteners are a nice touch also. My question is can the vents be mounted about 1 1/4 inches lower than the instructions state? Or would this sort of defeat the engineered in the "engineered drum". Reason I ask is the drum I have has raised grooves right where they are supposed to be mounted.

Thanks.

Salmonsmoker

I wouldn't think moving them enough to get clear of the raised grooves would cause a problem, except if your going to be using a drum dolly. The retaining band of the drum dolly could cover the vents. They could be moved up above the raised grooves and still be in good position to provide combustion air to the coals if that works better.

Kevinish

Hey Jake! Welcome!

There shouldn't be any problem moving them up or down a little from the instructions. If you move them lower you have to watch out for potential obstruction from the drum dolly like Salmon said. But you also have to make sure you don't build up too much ash at the bottom so it blocks air. I'd say, try to stay in the bottom 6 or 7 inches, you should be fine.

Good luck!

Top Bottom