Drum Smoker Cold Smoker Box - Smoked Mozzarella

Kevinish

This weekend I built a cold smoking box and fed it with an aluminum flexible dryer vent. It worked great and I made some smoked mozzarella. The temp in the smoke box was just under 90 deg, perfect for cheese. I smoked for about 1.5 hours with apple, and it was pretty smoky. I might try only 1 hour next time.

0wJY6s5.jpg

x6MSWIj.jpg

d4fo3MX.jpg

oexqkNV.jpg

kJ8OJhc.jpg

Chili Head

Make sure you rest the cheese in the fridge for at least several weeks after smoking it. It mellows the flavor so it don't taste like an ash tray.

Kevinish

Thanks Chili! I read that somewhere, but I was too excited to wait. I still have the other half that I'll save for a while and try in a week or so.

jimsbarbecue

Staff member
Second on waiting. we Vac seal ours and wait up to 8 weeks. Some cheese you will find the smoke works better on. We use it on cheddar that Patty will use when making Mac and Cheese.

Kevinish

I think I used a door knob hole saw, which is about 2 7/8 or somewhere close to that. I also lose a little bit of smoke out the sides of the front door. It seams like it captures a lot of smoke inside, maybe too much, I'm not really sure.

Salmonsmoker

Hey Jim, so do you put it in the freezer then? How does the cheese last that long any other way?

Thanks!

If you freeze cheese it will be crumbly when thawed, unless you shred it first. I have smoked cream cheese, muenster, provolone and mozzarella vac packed and in the fridge from May and it all looks good yet.

Top Bottom