Smoked Bacon Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread!

auxren

Been meaning to smoke a cornbread on the smoker but never had a cast iron skillet till last weekend.

But before that, I want to wish everyone a happy belated National Filet Mignon day (August 13th). To celebrate, I picked up a few USDA prime filets and some asparagus and seared them on the drum:
4BJg2Qu.jpg

But back to cornbread. First step was obtaining some bacon fat:
hopzhKO.jpg

Then, I mixed 2 cups of yellow cornmeal, 1 cup of whole wheat flour, 2 TBS of baking powder, and 2 tsp of salt.
lyxjnqc.jpg

In a separate bowl, I beat 2 eggs and mixed them with 3 cups of buttermilk and added in 1 tsp of baking soda.
I combined the dry and wet mixtures together and mixed. Then I added in the 3/4 cups of bacon fat, mixed, then added a package of shredded cheddar cheese.

While the skillet was still greasy and hot from the bacon, I finely chopped up an onion and 4 jalapenos and sautéed them with the chopped up bacon. When the onions looked caramelized, I added in the cornbread batter and stirred the mixture to ensure the sautéed veggies and bacon were evenly dispersed. I immediately put the skilled on the drum.
69IIFxV.jpg

Also had a tri-tip smoking for some friends from out of town. Did my usual balsamic glaze with money rub:
c9KZpRR.jpg

Here is old faithful. Had her for over a year and she never dun me wrong:
jc0CEUt.jpg

Smoked the cornbread pretty low for about an hour and fifteen. Tested for readiness with a toothpick:
Juemhex.jpg

Sorry, but I forgot to get a picture of the cornbread before we cut it up, it smelled too good to wait!
tfEUsvu.jpg

Jackb

I had no idea you didn't own a cast iron skillet... I totally would have given you mine on the spot if I knew.
That filet looks gangster. I would've had to pass on the cornbread though; I can unwrap your jalapeno poppers... Can't pick bacon out of that though, hahaha

Last edited:
Top Bottom