Steakhouse style burger

bcmcmoose

Today I made burgers based on a recipe I saw on Amazing Ribs. They turned out really good!
I started with 3lbs of boneless beef short ribs, and removed the silverskin. I then coarsely ground it, and seasoned it with a mixture of fresh ground black pepper, fresh ground Himalayan pink salt, onion powder, and garlic powder.
I then formed 8oz patties about 4" round and 3/4" thick. I took some bacon out to the BPS drum along with the burgers.

I laid the burgers on the outer rim at 225 degrees, over a full basket of Kingsford Comp with four softball sized chunks of pecan. I smoked the bacon and burgers for about 20 minutes, turning once at 10 minutes. I pulled them at 120degrees.
I then raised the basket, and opened the vents. Using a bit of water to control flare ups I finished the burgers and bacon at high heat, turning the burgers often until they were thoroughly browned. I toasted some sesame buns, lightly buttered them, and put a bit of Steak Sauce on my bottom bun, topped with Vine Tomatoes, the smoked bacon, muenster cheese, a few dill slices and a bit of lettuce.

The burger was a hit. Myself and my older daughter felt the Pecan smoke level was good, my youngest found it a bit too smoky . The burger actually had a tiny smoke ring inside! very flavorful and juicy. I recommend it and will do it again.

20130813_1835401_zps4848e824.jpg

20130813_1904391_zpsef970323.jpg

20130813_1922361_zps223a9246.jpg

20130813_1937141_zps11e9cd63.jpg

scooter

Staff member
Really? 4 softball size chunks of pecan? You really like the smoke on thick. I doubt you'd appreciate a pellet cooker! lol
That burger looks fabulous by the way! Super job. Try melting the cheese while on the meat and on the grill next time!

Top Bottom