Hot Tub Hens and Tatoe Corn Cakes

cowgirl

I make these a lot... love game hens on the BPS drum. :)

Brined in a mixture of turbinado sugar, smoked salt, black pepper corns, garlic, leeks, dried cayenne peppers and water.
Then slathered in butter and sprinkled with Big Poppa's Little Louie Seasoned Salt.
Into the drum at 325F with a bit of hickory.

f561f631-d9db-4384-b360-1bbdb4660434_zps8187af1d.jpg

049_zps46f5e9b9.jpg

The tatoe corn cake ingredients...
cooked cubed potatoes, corn, scallions, garlic, eggs, smoked salt, coarse black pepper, then rolled in panko and fried in butter.
I let them cook in the drum, added more butter to the skillet when needed.

038_zps705ef796.jpg

050_zpsdef68c9c.jpg

071_zpsd37fe981.jpg

073_zpse3a27123.jpg

084_zps08ea15be.jpg

086_zps0f10b784.jpg

095_zps84b7dfde.jpg

I love any kind of poultry in the drum!

Thanks for looking!

rockinshelby

Very nice indeed. The hot tub is hilarious, the hens look incredible, but I especially like all the side dishes that you create. The fact that you cook them along side the main dish often in a cast-iron skillet has inspired me. Thanks fo all the great posts.

cowgirl

Tell me about the corn cake? NOTHING beats chicken on the drum!

Shoot Scooter, sorry I didn't see your post!! The corn cakes are easy to make, I mix cooked cubed potatoes, corn, scallions, garlic, eggs, smoked salt, coarse black pepper, then rolled in panko and fried in butter. I usually fry them on a burner but decided to put them in the drum this time. I did add butter when needed. I like them crisp on the outside. :)

cowgirl

did the cakes brown like that from just being on the drum? If so, what temp are you cooking at they look great

Will thanks! After removing the birds to rest I cranked up the heat on the drum. I should have raised the hot coal basket, it would have been quicker. I browned the cakes in butter, butter seems to brown better for me than oil. I didn't check the temp while browning them, I just opened the air intakes and let er go.
Next time I'll raise the basket. :) Thanks again!

Top Bottom