First Salmon in the drum

BabelBBQ

Wild caught Alaskan salmon. Salt, pepper, lemon, butter and capers.
a7ejaryn.jpg

After about 90 minutes at about 250

qu9u2y2e.jpg

Plated with salad, cauliflower (sort of like the cauliflower from the BPS videos) and a simple bruschetta toasted on the drum.
y6epyquj.jpg

In theory the oozing from salmon is considered unappetizing, other than that, it was really good. My picky 7 year old picked it up and are his portion in about one minute.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

rockinshelby

I cooked some fish on the drum recently. It came out incredible!
I just used some old school BBQ techniques. Thin coat of yellow mustard, some Sweet Money and some Little Louie's.
Put it on some cedar planks and let it go at 250-275 for a little over an hour. They were thin fillets.
The cedar planks did add a bit of flavor but mostly I just used them for presentation and convenience.
Smoked using Kingsford blue and some chunks of cherry.
The drum produces amazing fish. Try it!

BabelBBQ

And by the way. The "oozing" is not unappetizing in the least. That's fat from the fish. What's wrong with that?

I'm sure like many people on the forum, I watch a lot of food TV. I've seen critics complain, and hosts talk about avoiding the ooze. It really isn't my opinion that it is a bad thing. I do wonder if somehow preventing the ooze, and keeping the fat inside the fish somehow improves the taste. Maybe that is why it is considered by some to be unappetizing, but I'm definitely no expert on cooking fish.

scooter

Staff member
I think you rocked that salmon Babel! I prefer to plank my salmon over hot coals but I'd certainly enjoy that plate.

Top Bottom