PDA

View Full Version : High Temp Powder Coat

bcmcmoose
07-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Hello all,
This is my first post here, but I have been known to post a bit in the other more musical forum of Big Poppas, (Proud owner if a JP6 BFR Koa and a Sterling 4 string!).

I am setting up my first Big Poppa Drum and wanted some opinions on Powder Coating. I have seen some manufacturers out there with powder on the inside as well as the outside, and many posts recommending not coating the inside. I plan on getting the drum blasted and powder coated this weekend or next and would appreciate any insight into the pros and cons of an interior powder coat.

And once I am finished I think I will post a pic of my BBQ along with my EBMM axes. And thank you Big Poppa, the kit came and had all the quality workmanship I found on my instruments.
:cool:

Salmonsmoker
07-16-2013, 06:20 AM
I would caution against anything on the inside. You don't want any off-gassing of chemicals into your food. You're much better off coating all interior surfaces with a good quality vegetable oil before doing your seasoning burn. The interior powder coating would be a waste of money anyway, as you'll have a layer of oils and smoke residue on the inside.

Salmonsmoker
07-16-2013, 06:21 AM
P.S. Welcome to the forum, by the way. :)

bcmcmoose
07-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Thank you for your advice. Glad to be here.

scooter
07-18-2013, 11:15 PM
I recommend not powder coating on the inside. Fat and smoke will be your protective coating on the inside.

bcmcmoose
07-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Thank you for your advice. Dropped the drilled drum off today to be blasted and high temp powdered, outside only. Ill post pictures of it when I get it back. Very excited to start cooking on it. Maybe ill decorate it with a Music Man logo, seems very appropriate!

bcmcmoose
07-22-2013, 03:35 PM
How did you do your high temp logo??

polok797
08-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Thanks for your better advice.

scooter
08-15-2013, 08:09 PM
It's a magnet. It's taken a beating. :)