High Temp Powder Coat

bcmcmoose

Hello all,
This is my first post here, but I have been known to post a bit in the other more musical forum of Big Poppas, (Proud owner if a JP6 BFR Koa and a Sterling 4 string!).

I am setting up my first Big Poppa Drum and wanted some opinions on Powder Coating. I have seen some manufacturers out there with powder on the inside as well as the outside, and many posts recommending not coating the inside. I plan on getting the drum blasted and powder coated this weekend or next and would appreciate any insight into the pros and cons of an interior powder coat.

And once I am finished I think I will post a pic of my BBQ along with my EBMM axes. And thank you Big Poppa, the kit came and had all the quality workmanship I found on my instruments.
:cool:

Salmonsmoker

I would caution against anything on the inside. You don't want any off-gassing of chemicals into your food. You're much better off coating all interior surfaces with a good quality vegetable oil before doing your seasoning burn. The interior powder coating would be a waste of money anyway, as you'll have a layer of oils and smoke residue on the inside.

scooter

Staff member
I recommend not powder coating on the inside. Fat and smoke will be your protective coating on the inside.

bcmcmoose

Thank you for your advice. Dropped the drilled drum off today to be blasted and high temp powdered, outside only. Ill post pictures of it when I get it back. Very excited to start cooking on it. Maybe ill decorate it with a Music Man logo, seems very appropriate!

Top Bottom