What to cook next?

BabelBBQ

I got my BPS kit just in time to get my drum ready for father's day/my son's 7th birthday.
20130616_095157.jpg

We both love ribs, so my first cook was an easy decision, ribs.

Amazing Ribs - Last meal ribs rub.
20130616_090957.jpg

Family party so I used a rib rack, and then Texas Cheat.
20130616_150752.jpg

20130616_152015.jpg

Finished them with Sweet Baby Rays (I'm from the Chicago area). They turned out great!
20130616_171724.jpg

Yesterday I decided to do Spatchcock Chicken, mainly because of reading posts on this forum. I like Chicken, my wife is not generally a fan. I thought it turned out pretty good, not great, but pretty good. I used olive oil and BP Money rub, put some butter under the skin (I don't have a flavor injector yet). Skin tasted great, meat tasted like chicken. Definitely moist. I used iGrill digital thermometer in the breast of one of the birds, skin side up until 150, skin side down until 165. Cooked between 275 and 325 for about 1.5-2 hours.

20130620_170349.jpg

Looking for suggestions/recipes on what to do next. I'm new to smoking/drum cooking. I have been a Weber Gas grill user exclusively until last week. This forum is great, so I'm sure I'll get some good suggestions.

Cmsmith225

Salmonsmoker(or anyone for that matter) can you give a quick rundown on how you go about smoking your salmon. Prep, temps, cook time, etc. ?

Sent from "insert witty location or phrase"

Salmonsmoker

Salmonsmoker(or anyone for that matter) can you give a quick rundown on how you go about smoking your salmon. Prep, temps, cook time, etc. ?

Sent from "insert witty location or phrase"

Cm,
I smoke around 250# a year and use a dry brine to cure my salmon. I could tell you my recipe, but then I'd have to kill ya'.:rolleyes:I don't use the barrel to smoke salmon, but I'm sure you could. (I have an electric smoker that I control with an Auber pid which drastically reduces the maintenance-I could go to work if I needed to). It(the barrel) would take a lot more monitoring though. When I smoke salmon I use four different temp settings. After the brine, the pieces are rinsed and then put on racks for several hours for a pellicle to form. Then with smoke applied(alder, apple, hickory- your choice),2 hrs. @ 100F, and 2 hrs @ 120F. No more smoke. The next temp. is 4 hrs @ 140F and 170F to completion. I don't use an IT to determine when the fish is done, but by touch. You could get a smoke generator such as an Ama-z-n pellet smoker, which BP sells. I have one I use for smoking cheese, etc. and it is amazing :rolleyes: It produces copious amounts of smoke and very little heat, which you need for smoking cheese. I think the hardest part would be keeping the drum at low temps. for an extended length of time, but probably could be done by lighting a dozen briquettes, putting them against the edge of the basket, then filling the basket and keeping a tight rein on the temp., opening the vents as you go to increase the temps. when needed. There's more than enough fuel to do the whole smoke from start to finish that way. When done, put salmon in fridge covered for 24 hr. to meld flavors, then preserve. I vacuum pack and then freeze. It keeps for years this way(but never lasts anywhere near that long) and is always ready for hors d' oeuvres , smoked salmon chowder(killer) smoked salmon fettuccini(killer), smoked salmon spread on crackers(killer), smoked salmon with smoked asagio cheese, sweet red pepper and green onion omelets(huge killer) .... Ack! I'm killing me! Gotta go pull a package outa da freezer!
Any more questions, send to my kitchen. I'm makin' sumpin'!

BabelBBQ

I ended up going with Pork Chops, potatoes and per Salmonsmoker's advice I went with a little dessert a couple of days ago.

20130624_172140.jpg

Flipped them at about 110 internal temp. Center of drum was around 320 according to digital therm. Outer edge temp around 275 according to the BPS built in therm.
20130624_174224.jpg

I had a bit of a rain storm, and high winds that knocked over a tree at the park across the street, but it passed quickly, temp only dropped about 20 degrees in the drum.
20130624_175137.jpg

Moved the basket to the upper rings, let the temp come up and seared the chops.
20130624_181457.jpg

Let them rest under foil. And they are done. The bone in chop is mine (and one of the boneless too).
20130624_183052.jpg

And for dessert, I think I saw this on a different forum but maybe it was on here, peel and core an apple, then slice into four disks. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon on each ring (I threw in a little kosher salt too), reform into a sphere, wrap in foil with the top open, stick in a pad butter in the opening. I let them cook in the center of the grate for the entire cook.

20130624_185904.jpg

Serve with a little ice cream.
20130624_190245.jpg

It all tasted great. I would probably make one change for next time. I used lump charcoal and three tiny pieces of apple wood. I wasn't a huge fan of the smoke flavor in the dessert. It wasn't huge, might have been a tad better with a cleaner taste.

BabelBBQ

And these chicken balls and drums are lovely, rub a good rub under the skin :)

Are the chicken balls a rolled up thy? or rolled up breast? Do you stuff with anything, or just use a rub before rolling? I'm guessing thy and you bought them as quarter chickens.

Nafle

And these chicken balls and drums are lovely, rub a good rub under the skin :)

Are the chicken balls a rolled up thy? or rolled up breast? Do you stuff with anything, or just use a rub before rolling? I'm guessing thy and you bought them as quarter chickens.

The balls are thy, yes. I think they have more flavour. You may stuff it, I just use the rub inside and roll it up and under the skin , roll the skinn back and on the skin. May also wrap it in bacon. Just love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

www.naflebbq.blogspot.com

BabelBBQ

And a great job you do. :)

Thanks, I'll try the chicken balls. I need to make something really good out of chicken to change my wife's opinion about chicken in general. I like the bacon idea, I think I'll replace the skin with bacon and go that route.

Top Bottom