Drum Question

duckgal

Hello, I got a great deal on a used food grade drum but unfortunately it is still lined. This was the only used drum I could find in my area and it was the right price. Now how do I get the liner off? I've read on these threads people burning it out and other sand blasting. I don't have a sand blaster but I can start a pretty hot brush fire in the country. Would this and maybe a good scrubbing with a metal brush do the trick? Also do you buy the water based rust inhibitor and the Rust-oleum at Lowe's or Home Depot? Sorry, I am new to building things but am dying for a real smoker, so tired of fighting to achieve greatness with not so great equipment!

Salmonsmoker

Welcome to the forum duckgal. Trying to burn the liner out may get you questionable results. And like Princi said, lotsa wire brushing and sweat and then perhaps another burn and more wire brushing. If you can find a sand blaster in your area it's around $50 to do inside and out. Much easier and quicker IMO. For paint...I used the high heat Rustoleum stuff from HD and it's cracked off and peeled and then rusted underneath. I'm going to the high heat (650F)engine paint for the second round. Others on the forum have used that and I haven't seen a report of peeling yet.

Flat Top

Must depend on area I'm in Denver cheapest sand blaster I have found so far is 110 bucks, that plus the 35 for the drum should have bought a new one from Grainger for 150. Checked powder coat shops even tried to bribe a headstone guy with beer (they use a sand blaster worked for a harley frame) think I'm going to try double burn and a wire brush on a drill.

scooter

Staff member
Flat Top, don't bribe with beer, bribe with BBQ!!

duckgal, welcome to DS.com! I echo what others have said about sandblasting unless you like big fires and sweaty work.

Top Bottom