Mongolian Pork Chops

scooter

Staff member
Here's my absolute favorite chop hands down! Mongolian pork chops with a creamy sweet sour Chinese-style mustard sauce. To die for, really! Served with MAK roasted asparagus and oven roasted potatoes and onions.

The Mongolian marinade ingredients (recipe at the end): Hoisin sauce, sugar, Tamari soy sauce, sherry vinegar, rice vinegar, scallion, Tabasco, black bean chili sauce, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, ground white pepper, fresh cilantro, sesame oil. Mix together and put into a plastic bag with the chops for 6 hours.
IMG_0874_zps0ad9c687.jpg

French the bones
IMG_0878_zps7d7e58c1.jpg

Put on the BPS drum with pecan wood and hickory pellets. We're going to do a reverse sear on these. Cook low at around 250 until the chops are around 150IT then over super hot coals for a few minutes to carmelize the outside.
IMG_0880_zpsfaca10b1.jpg

Make the Chinese style mustard sauce: Sugar, Colemans mustard powder, egg yolks, red wine vinegar, creme fraiche.
IMG_0885_zpsb51a6c09.jpg

Flip the chops on the drum
IMG_0888_zpse5beff43.jpg

Chops are almost done so time to get the asparagus on the MAK. Seasoned with EVOO, Desert Gold and Jalapeno seasoned salt. Same seasonings go on the roasted potatoes
IMG_0889_zpsc75bed20.jpg

Chops are done so pull them off and let them rest while the charcoal get super hot for the reverse sear.
IMG_0893_zps820bf5ea.jpg

Reverse sear time!
IMG_0905_zps87b84e03.jpg

Done, pulled and final rest

IMG_0907_zpscf676d80.jpg

Last edited:

scooter

Staff member
Plate it up! Drizzle some of the sauce over the chop... ooohh lala!!
IMG_0923_zpsd4cc72e4.jpg

IMG_0912_zpsf0314668.jpg

IMG_0917_zps73972427.jpg

I cleaned the wife's baby back bone also. So good. Seriously, make these chops, you won't regret it.
IMG_0931_zpsde51b899.jpg

Mustards Grill Mongolian Pork Chop Marinade Recipe
6 pork rib eye chops, bones frenched
1CP Hoisin
1 TBS sugar
1.5 TBS Tamari soy sauce
1.5 TBS sherry vinegar
1.5 TBS rice vinegar
1 scallion, white and green parts minced
1 TSPN Tabasco sauce
1.5 TSPN Lee Kum Kee black bean chile sauce (Asian markets like Ranch99)
1.5 TSPN grated fresh ginger
1.5 TSPN minced garlic
.75 TSPN fresh ground white pepper
.25 CP fresh cilantro leaves and stems, minced
1 TBS sesame oil

Combine all ingredients and place in a plastic bag with the chops for 6 hours.
Smoke at 250 until 150 IT. Sear with super high heat for a few minutes until they get carmelized a bit. Rest for about 10 mins and serve.

Chinese-style Mustard Sauce
.5 CP sugar
.25 CP Colman's mustard powder
2 egg yolks
.5 CP red wine vinegar
.75 CP creme fraiche. Or sour cream, or whipping cream. I prefer whipping cream.

Put the sugar and mustard in the top of a double boiler and mix with a whisk. When all combined, whisk in the egg yolks and vinegar. Cook over simmering water, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens to be able to coat the back of a spoon, maybe 5-10 minutes tops. Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool. When cool, fold in the creme fraiche (or sour cream or whipping cream).

Last edited:

scooter

Staff member
Thanks guys! It is the best pork chop!
Yes, the recipe is in their cookbook and is published on their website. This is the signature dish from Mustard's Grill in the southern end of Napa Valley. They make thousands of these a month. It's very easy to make. Only ingredient that was difficult to find was the black bean chile sauce. Not to be confused with the black bean garlic sauce. The black bean chile sauce was not in any American market I went to. I found it in Ranch99 which is a large Asian market chain. An Asian market is where you'll need to go to find it but I guarantee it will be worth the side trip to the Asian market to get it and it's not expensive either.

Top Bottom