Surf and Turf and Turf

Jackb

The last 3 weeks worth of drum smoking:

Week 1- at Auxren's house, I brought some shrimp and fish, he did chicken and beef (I forgot what cut it was)
The shrimp and fish (Swai and Talapia) got a light coating of olive oil, them some BPS Little Louie's Seasoned Garlic Salt and Authur Bryant Poultry and Fish Rub.
IMG_5277_zps9fe32745.jpg

IMG_5284_zps4cf43f5d.jpg

I felt like the shrimp was a little dry, but idk if if was because it overcooked or just doesn't take well to smoking (compared to grilling)

The beef and chicken Auxren made were outstanding. Idk details because they were already cooked by the time I arrived.
IMG_5280_zps8609f015.jpg

IMG_5286_zpsb7e30d57.jpg

Week 2- I made a tri-tip. I got it at a new deli (which btw, sells all kinds of weird meat I will be getting and experimenting with). The guy said they had some already trimmed and seasoned Santa Maria style.
IMG_5367_zpsc8a8bcec.jpg

Clearly, he was wrong about it being trimmed. So I trimmed it and re-seasoned all the unseasoned parts with olive oil and BPS Jallelujah Seasoned Jalapeno Salt.

Auxren helped me over the phone with guidance to get my smoker to the correct temp and stabilized. To rub his experience in my face, while I was still messing with the vents and working on getting the smoker to and stabilized at the correct temp, he decided to go to the store, buy a Filet Mignon, fire up his drum, cook his food, and have it finished before my tri-tip even went on, lol.

But I got it eventually.
This time I had a probe thermometer watching it the entire time. Smoked with hickory pellets to 135*. The top didn't look done, so I flipped it and let it the other side get more direct heat for about 3 minutes and took it off.
IMG_5370_zpsd48cb0bc.jpg

What a difference! Perfectly cooked and no guesswork. With coleslaw, steamed broccoli and sweet-potato fries. So tender, so juicy…
IMG_5371_zps08af23cd.jpg

Week 3- Roast. Completely solo, Now I got the hang of how to work the drum. Roast seasoned with olive oil and BPS Double Secret Steak Rub, smoked over Jack Daniels pellets to 135*.
Also smoked some hamburger meat (Idk what was mixed in the ground beef, but we did not season it at all). Chopped up some squash, zucchini and onion, sprinkled with a little pepper, wrapped in foil and put on the bbq.
IMG_5393_zpsb6801753.jpg

IMG_5394_zps253b34ed.jpg

IMG_5397_zps4a9a0c1f.jpg

Last edited:

scooter

Staff member
You are well on your way! Outstanding cooks!

BTW: There is a saying, "it's not the pit, it's the pitmaster". The pitmaster gets all the accolades but on the same token, must accept the failures as well. The pit will only cook as well as it's managed. Shrimp do very well on a drum but care must be taken to ensure they're not overcooked causing them to be dry and tough.
For tritip, I usually flip at the halfway point, around 90-100IT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while driving one handed!

Last edited:

auxren

lookin good Jack! glad i got to throw in a getting started tutorial for you before you left to tucson! cant wait to hear how the BUFFALO tri-tip turns out!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Ok The stuff looks decent but yopu can do better...check out my threads on techniques...they will help you with good pit place ment and turing temps...keep it up!

Top Bottom