SS Barrel Came Yesterday

PrinciQ See

Well, my SS barrel arrived yesterday from Bubba's Barrels. It is in EXCELLENT condition. Cannot wait to get this rolling!

photo.jpg

Cmsmith225

Looks nice. It's making me second guess my barrel choice. I guess bps #2 can always be stainless.

Sent from "insert witty location or phrase"

PrinciQ See

Here is an update. I got a good start on the SS smoker.

I'm still waiting on the lid (looks like Monday), but I got a good start on the drum, itself.

photo-1.jpg

As you can see, I have the bottle opener installed already (priorities!).

photo-2.jpg

The stainless wreaks havoc on the step bits, so I do not yet have the 3/4" air intake holes finished yet. I'm thinking I'm going to need a knockout punch to finish the job.

IMG_0910.jpg

As you can see, the stainless kit from BPS look real nice on that stainless drum.

IMG_0911.jpg

One quirky issue is with the vent slides. Since all barrels are not standard, you may have to "reshape" the vent slide to fit your barrel.

Hopefully, I'll get that knockout punch tomorrow and get the air intakes done. Once the lid arrives, I will get it dirty.

PrinciQ See

Update:

photo-3.jpg

SOOOOO close.

photo-4.jpg

I can't afford my own knockout punches, so I'm going to try going with a 3/4" black oxide bit to get the 8 holes in the lid and 8 holes in the intake vents.

MrAdam

Cutting oil might be a good idea when drilling through stainless.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

PrinciQ See

Well, I fired it up today and cooked a fatty to break it in.

SlicedFatty2.jpg

Here is the assembled smoker in the light of day.

Temp.jpg

That is ROCK SOLID and held from about 4:00 until 10:00 when I shut it down for the night.

Fatty.jpg

Love me a fatty!

SLicedFatty.jpg

This shot is too dark.

SlicedFatty2.jpg

But THIS one? Priceless.

My ONLY disappointment with this build is that the holes for the air intake vents did not line up correctly. I used the paper templates as instructed, but the holes did not line up. My strong recommendation is that you drill your first holes for the vents and then push down the vent to mark the remaining holes. My vent mounts look awful, but the smoker works extremely well (after run 1) I just wish the vents looked as cood as the rest of the smoker. [This is not a dig at BPS. I just wish I had approached the vents differently.]

Last edited:

Cmsmith225

My ONLY disappointment with this build is that the holes for the air intake vents did not line up correctly. I used the paper templates as instructed, but the holes did not line up.

I finished mine today as well and had the exact same problem. No worries just had to drill one more hole on each vent about 1/4" over

Sent from "insert witty location or phrase"

Top Bottom